Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimension 4700 won't boot  (Read 4161 times)

iamihop

Topic Starter

Dell Dimension 4700 won't boot
    « on: August 31, 2009, 03:46:37 PM »
    I have a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop computer. This desktop is about 4 years old, but I’ve taken good care of it, upgraded the video card and memory (both functioned perfectly for almost a year, so this is not the source of the problem), and have never had any trouble with it before. A week ago when I went to turn it on, all the lights came on, but then the fan kicked in at full speed and it just sat there, blowing out air. My monitor got no signal and just stayed black. I tried many more times and got exactly the same result. I have heard no beeping or any  alarming indications, and the computer does not seem to be genuinely overheating – it seems to just think it is.

I believe the hard drive DOES start spinning, but once the fan starts I can't hear it anymore. By the way, the fan spinning constantly like that is not normal.

I thought the source of the problem might have been the power supply, but I've tried putting in a new one (in the process re-seating almost all the connections in the PC) with absolutely no change, so I'm going to send it back. I was told the only way to find out if it was the power supply was trial and error.

This has been very frustrating for me, and despite hours of searching online, I've not found a single case that is exactly the same as mine. I don't have the money to get a new computer, so I really need to find a fix for this one.

Oh, and I can’t run any diagnostics or get into the BIOS or anything because at no point does my monitor change.

Thank you!

smeezekitty

Re: Dell Dimension 4700 won't boot
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
    reseat the ram
    most of the time there is nothing is usuly a ram problem

iamihop

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »
      OH...MY.........!!!!!!

Thank you! I don't really understand why that worked. I had reseated all four RAM cards already, as well as the video card. But that time, for whatever reason, it worked.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Solved!

Isaac

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
      you should download memtest burn it on a cd and let it run 4 passes
      and if there any any errors reported replace your ram
      otherwise i think you are good to go