Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost data  (Read 2903 times)

imjdd

Lost data
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:26:28 AM »
I had a house power failure and when it was restored my computer would not turn on. I took it  to a local tech service. They indicated it was the power source and replaced it.  Then they told me that it was running too slow and I probably had "viruses" and asked if I wanted a scan. I said ok and afterthe scan they told me there  were lots of viruses and they could clean it up and add a good antivirus software. I said ok.  They told me they backed up everything And that the "counts" for the back up and after being cleaned were the same totals. I could not find several folders of documents....MSWORD, EXCEL and pictures.  The Tech told me he created "shortcuts" for all my recently accessed documents and showed me where they were located but the original docs were all gone. He said a virus deleted them.  Strange coincidence that only those docs that I touched in 2009 are gone.  I don't like his explanation but I am not knowledgeable.  Can someone shed any light on this issue? thanks

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Lost data
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html