Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: too many virue and spyware programs????  (Read 3127 times)

Beverly

too many virue and spyware programs????
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
i have windows Vista Home Basic. i have installed Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, Windows Defender and Malaware Antibytes Malware to protect my computer. Am I  in an overkill mode here? Too many programs for protection? If so what do I need to remove?? Thanks a bunch!!!

hot dog

Re: too many virue and spyware programs????
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:14:34 AM »
If I were you, and this is only my opinion, I would disable Windows Defender.  In my experience using it, it has never found any malware or informed me of finding any malware, whether running a random scan or operating in "real time"...It's a waste of hardware resources

So now we're down to Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Malware bytes..

Malwarebytes is an excellent "on demand" virus scanner.  It doesn't run in "real time" so you don't have to worry about it conflicting with any other anti malware programs.

Spybot is also a good "on demand" scanner, but I don't recommend using the "tea timer", because it keeps a check on every little thing that happens in your registry and is quite annoying.. . (Disable the tea timer)

I've never used Spyware Blaster so I can't tell you how good or not it is..

In short my recommendation is to keep Malwarebytes on there to run random virus scans at your convenience (weekly is good, just be sure to update it before scans), Keep Spybot (but disable the tea timer), disable Windows Defender...   As for Spyware Blaster, I suppose using it wouldn't hurt, but you don't want too many programs cluttering your HDD, so I'd dump Spyware Blaster... 

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:50:27 AM by block_head »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:47:15 AM »
Spyware Blaster & MalwareBytes (plus a good anti virus utility, of course) are all you need. Remember to update Spyware Blaster's definitions weekly. And unless it's the paid version of MB, there's no need to start it automatically with the system - just run scans on a regular basis.

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:54:43 AM »
Also try superantispyware. There's no such thing as over kill when it comes to protecting your PC. Just try not to have two Anti-Virus software running at the same time they will conflict. If you need a good anti-virus software for free try AVG.
I have 6 separate programmes on my laptop one AV and the rest are malware and spyware detectors. Never can be too careful.
P.s welcome to Computer Hope  ;)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
    I recommend adding Avast an Ccleaner which will help. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:31:59 PM »
    i think malwareBytes is all you should keep, plus get Super Anti Spyware and a good AV. Thats really all you need.

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
      I recommend adding Avast an Ccleaner which will help. 
      ;)
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres