Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: All of a sudden, cannot open links  (Read 2168 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

All of a sudden, cannot open links
    « on: August 31, 2009, 09:10:55 PM »
    I just experienced this in the last few days, I will get an email with a link, won't open. Go to a website, click link, it opens a new window, but nothing happens.  How do I change this?  Now it's not happening on ALL websites, but I did get an email from a work-at-home place and it said "Click Here" (yeah I know, be careful of work-at-home schemes, I was just going to check it out, see what it said) and when I "Click(ed) Here" it opened a new window but it remained blank.  This has happened more frequently in the last few days and the only thing I have done is downloaded some updates for Windows Vista.  Do you think that might be causing it?  The updates were:

Definition Update for Windows Defender
    Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0x86
    Update for Windows Vista
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

Please bear (bare?) in mind that I am somewhat computer stupid and need as simple an explanation as you can get for a fix, if someone knows of one.  Should I restore my computer to before the updates and see if that is it?  Those of you who have helped me in the past know my limitations, but any help will be appreciated!

Thanks - Debby
     ???

billrich

Re: All of a sudden, cannot open links
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »
    System Restore is a good option. The process can be reversed if it does not  work.

Filter the bad link through notepad and it might work.  Highlight link, copy and paste to notepad. Then copy and paste to your address slot. Notepad will remove garbage control characters.

You might paste to MS Word.  First place cursor at the start of the link and do a return.  Then place the cursor at the end of the link and do a return.

The link should come alive and might work from MS word and there is no need to copy and paste to your address slot.

Still does not work:
    After all this a F5 ( refresh screen ) might awaken the blank web page.

Good Luck

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: All of a sudden, cannot open links
      « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
      Thanks, I did all you told me (I had refreshed before and it didn't work) and nothing.  I will do a System Restore tomorrow.  Right now - it's late here on the East Coast and I think it is time for hitting the hay.

I really appreciate the help!!!

Debby