Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reload HP Desktop with Windows  (Read 2501 times)

jamesgodzilla

Reload HP Desktop with Windows
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
I turned on my PC yesterday and got the message "Error file is either missing or corrupt".   It is a Hal file and Windows cannot load.  I have an authorized Windows Installation Disk, but I don't know how to load it.  Windows will not open under any options including all of the "Safe Modes", and I tried running the CD through my External DVD unit, but it won't start.  Thankfully I have this Acer Notebook, but it has a problem also.  It was recently reloaded with Windows because the Wi-Fi stopped working.  After the new Windows installation, the Wi-Fi still doesn't work, but I'm using an external Wi-Fi that works just fine.  I am pretty good at fixing issues on my computers without any assistance, and my friend is even better.  We went through every option numerous times to connect to the internet and got a connection to the wireless network, but it still wouldn't connect to Internet Explorer.  So, my 2 questions are:  How do I load the Windows (authorized) CD onto my HP Desktop? And how do I get my internal Wi-Fi card in my Acer Laptop to work?   If anyone can answer these, I will bow down to you for a year.  Sincerely, jamesgodzilla

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Reload HP Desktop with Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »
1) Boot to your XP CD and choose the first Repair option (press R) - this will take you to the Recovery Console
2) Once you are at the command prompt enter the following two commands (press ENTER after each):
fixboot
fixmbr

3) Type EXIT and press ENTER

If you still get the error message you can either restore the hal.dll file or do a repair install. I prefer the latter. Come back if necessary and we'll walk you through the next step.