Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer freezes when trying to load Windows  (Read 2513 times)

artteacher2010

Topic Starter

computer freezes when trying to load Windows
    « on: August 30, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »
    After I turn on my computer I receive this error message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

I've tried starting it in Safe Mode, Last Known Configuration, Normal mode, and just letting it count down but every time I press a button, it freezes.

Here are some of the solutions I've tried.

Unplugging it, pressing the power button 10 secs uplugged, disconnecting all hardware except PC and moniter, letting it sit all night unplugged. I don't know what to do.

I have a hp 700 if that helps. Thanks.

hot dog

Re: computer freezes when trying to load Windows
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
    What's the inside of your computer look like?  Is there a lot of dust?   When you power on the computer, are all fans spinning?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:52 AM »
    What is different between the last time the system started normally and the first time it didn't (new hw, sw, virus, etc)?

artteacher2010

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »
      Two weeks prior I installed a CD-ROM dinosaur game for my kids that didn't act just right so we didn't play it.  I wasn't sure if it was going to work anyway because it was for Windows 2000. That was the only thing installed within the last 6 months. The fans are all working fine and I cleared all the dust but still no change.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
      It sounds like it may be a hardware issue and that's not really my strength. Let's see what others here think.

smeezekitty

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
      or the copy of windows is corrupted