Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista acting a bit weird....  (Read 13565 times)

hiloed

Beginner

Re: Vista acting a bit weird....
    « Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »

ADG, BC and Patio,

You cannot speak of the ocean to a frog in a well.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »
      Ok, hate to be a drag, but it's still doing it, tho to a lesser degree.... In either IE or Windows Mail program.... it can hang.... if you try to force it (clicking around) to go on... it says "Not reponding" at the top.. you fool with it more.... the screen goes milky white... it'll "think a bit"... then come back to where it ought to be and be ok for a while..... any other ideas??? Went to Microsofts site...and even the guys there are at odds.... is this system so buggy eevn MICROSOFT is baffled??? Frankly I basically like Vista, and it runs the other programs just fine it seems.... just these two seem to screw up!! Any ideas are welcome!!

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
        Fixed it... after getting the LATEST "update" download from Microsoft....it locked up almost as fast as it loaded! I.E. became totally useless!!! Microsoft TRASH!!! I downloaded FireFox at the advice of my Nephew.... FIXED!!! So it is DEFINITELY crappy software from the big MC once again.... I.E. 7 was ok.. guess that's what I get for being dumb enough to BELIEVE their "ad hype" about the "latest and greatest upgrade"..... Sick to death of MC always selling HALF FINISHED products.... wish some NEW guy would come along and blow those crooks out of the water!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
        Sick to death of MC always selling HALF FINISHED products

They didn't sell you IE8. it was free.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
        They didn't sell you IE8. it was free.

Or my auto-updates! Is that why i never have any money at the end of the month?

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
        Fixed it... after getting the LATEST "update" download from Microsoft....it locked up almost as fast as it loaded! I.E. became totally useless!!! Microsoft TRASH!!! I downloaded FireFox at the advice of my Nephew.... FIXED!!! So it is DEFINITELY crappy software from the big MC once again.... I.E. 7 was ok.. guess that's what I get for being dumb enough to BELIEVE their "ad hype" about the "latest and greatest upgrade"..... Sick to death of MC always selling HALF FINISHED products.... wish some NEW guy would come along and blow those crooks out of the water!!

I don't have a problem with MS software. 
        However it is a really poor musician that blames the instrument.
        Evil is an exact science.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
          Now come on.... not like all of you are in love with MS!!!!! LOL!!! BUT.... it did it again...... But I also finally fixed it. New Video Driver Update from nvidia and all seems fine !!

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »
          Now come on.... not like all of you are in love with MS!!!!! LOL!!! BUT.... it did it again...... But I also finally fixed it. New Video Driver Update from nvidia and all seems fine !!

So you are saying that it was a problem with your video driver and not MS. I think some one owes MS an apology.
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »
            Well I'd be happy to eat crow if I could get the problem fixed!!! It is ALMOST "normal".. as long as I don't use I.E.8 at all!! Firefox runs 98% no problems..... if I launch I.E.8.. type in a url hit enter and  FREEZE UP!! What it is, I don't know... I DO know it never did this until the I.E. 8 upgrade.... tried to "uninstall the update..nogo, tried to RE-INSTALL IE8.... nogo.... and the Games that come with windows still won't work either... they are there... I can go in and hit the executables file itself, but nothing. Everything else works as it should.....
            I don't get it...

Um.. I was reading on here about "when to reload windows.... it said to run TaskManager  and see how many svchost  etc were running.... I show 13 right now!! 2 under Norton & 11 by windows various ....what is causing that?? Virus scan comes up clean.... so does spybot...
            « Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:18:15 AM by Hankster58 »

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »
            Multiple instances of svchost is normal...many processes are dependent on it to run.

IE8 Repair...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
              ok, looked it up, read instructions and ran it... used run as admin... dos box pops up... exe runs.. then i get "ERROR:Access Denied"..... then it tells me hit any key to continue.. do so and that's it... no change. IE still screwed.... now there is no "Administrator" password on this computer.... Admin was left open.... tried to CREATE an "Admin" and it tells me I can't there already is one.... and the Account SHOWS Admin. when you go in...
              I guess That's it..... one "dumb" question... can Vista be reloaded over itself??? If so, what happens to all updates installed etc... do they REMAIN or are they wasted??? Programs and data?? Or is it best to just live with it?

Oh yeah, thanks for info On Svchost... actually found the skinny on it at about 4 am on another site... Vista uses it instead of exe files to run multiple apps if I got it right, so if one locks all don't go down?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
              Oh yeah, thanks for info On Svchost... actually found the skinny on it at about 4 am on another site... Vista uses it instead of exe files to run multiple apps if I got it right, so if one locks all don't go down?

No. It hosts services. svchost hosts Out-of-process services; dllhost hosts in-process services (dlls).

regarding your sudden user issue- in order to create administrator accounts you need administrator access; but from the looks of the error it isn't complaing that you already have an administrator enabled account but rather that the name you chose exists. Not all accounts display on the log-in screen. For example, the only account that I can see in most places is my normal account, "BC_Programming". However, when I visit Computer management's user section (start, compmgmt.msc,"Local Users And Groups","users" I can see:

__vmware_user__
              Administrator
              BC_Programming
              VUSR_TERATRON

each one has a description- for example it reveals that VUSR_TERATRON is used by Visual Studio 2008.

Within this particular Dialog (computer management) you can investigate each of these users, as well. For example, my BC_Programming account is in fact more powerful then the Administrator account, as I've given myself Debug access. (for my programming needs).

Personally, I always use this particular feature to manage users; the default user account management is to limited for my tastes.

Regarding your problem- the administrator account is disabled by default- by enabling it (I assume) it should then display on the log-in screen, so, if for some reason your normal account no longer has administrator privileges, you should be able to log-in as Administrator and use computer management to make your normal account a member of the administrators group.

It's also possible the behaviour your witnessing is a result of UAC; when you log-in, your account is Always stripped of any administrator rights- windows takes your user security token and masks out the administrator privileges. When administrator access is required, the UAC prompt is shown before performing the operation with your full security token. I'm not sure how this works when UAC is disabled, but it might simply not show the UAC prompt and instead automatically perform the operation using the full security token. If that is the case, your normal user account will, while having administrator privileges, the security token used to start most programs will not, unless you use "run as administrator". On that note, the "Run as administrator" was exactly what you needed for that IE repair script; even with UAC disabled, you need to use "Run as administrator" to run the program with your full security token, rather then the normal one with the admin privileges stripped out.

re: your IE8 issues, try some of the steps here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/03/07/how-to-uninstall-windows-internet-explorer-8-ie8-in-vista/

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »
                ok on svc...
                According to what I found they set it up without UAC.... BUT i have "all permissions" possible chosen under my "username".... and yes, I found 3 entries, but one it recognizes me as supposedly has all rights etc etc...

ok, the EXACT message i get it....after starting that cmd deal i downloaded....

registering IE files
                registering system files
                correcting bugs in the registry
                ERROR:Access is denied.
                all tasks have finished
                Press any key to continue......

So you press enter, the box goes away..... i'll look at the link you provided now...

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »
                  To do so, go to C:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\ folder (your drive letter may be different), and run spuninst.exe. Restart the computer after uninstallation completed.

Ok.. what do you do when this folder isn't there???? This is nutz!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
                  well... then you don't have ie8 installed or for some reason it didn't install properly.

forgive me if you mentioned doing this- but have you tried a System Restore?