Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wont start up after installing new memory  (Read 5683 times)

ddlive

Computer wont start up after installing new memory
« on: June 07, 2005, 07:00:21 PM »
Hi, I just put in a stick of 512mb into my computer to make the total memory 1gb. After putting the memory in and closing the case, I tried to turn on the computer. It powered on, but all I'm getting is a black screen. The disc drives are making wooshing noise every few seconds.

I made sure there wasnt any discs in either of the drives (CD or DVDROM) and I reopened the case and made sure everything was firmly seated.

So does anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it? Any help is appreciated.

ddlive

Re: Computer wont start up after installing new me
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 07:04:45 PM »
Also I should add that I removed the new memory in an attempt to remedy the problem, but the computer does the same thing with or without.

hywaydave

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:52:23 PM »
This might sound funny, but are you sure you connected the monitor to your computer after putting everything back?  If so, do you hear any beeps when the machine boots up?  If you need additional assistance, you can contact me at ResourcePC.

Dave

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:25:26 AM »
Have you taken electro-static discharge into account when installing the memory modules?

If you have, I suggest that you attempt to install the memory modules on Bank #2. Assuming there is more than one bank.

1. What are your mainboard specifications?

2. Is the memory you are attempting to install supported by your mainboard?

merlin_2

ddlive

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 01:53:05 PM »
Still having trouble, the memory I installed is supported by my computer I know for a fact though. I double checked through a couple of places (computer co. website, crucial, retailer).

And yes the monitor is hooked up properly (the pins are in perfect condition, nothing is bent out of place). I don't hear any beeping sounds, only the occasional whir of the disc drives.

I don't think Electrostatic Discharge would be a factor, but I'm not 100% sure. I did take some precautions and was careful when installing memory. But who knows.

If it is something like that, is the computer just plain broke? Or is it just the memory or slot that could be damaged?

ddlive

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »
Also is there anywhere I can read up on the effects of electrostatic discharge? Maybe I can find a relationship between sample symptoms and the ones im experiencing.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 01:57:05 PM »
try swapping the ram sticks around.......are they the same make .........does your mobo support 1gig...what power supply unit have you got?

ddlive

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 02:03:28 PM »
This is a Compaq Presario S6000NX model computer, it supports 1GB of total memory and has 2 slots. The first one has 512, and the second would have 512.

The original stick of memory obviously came pre packaged, and the new memory stick is made by Kingston.

Any more info about the computer is probably here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?dlc=en&tool=solveCategory&lc=en&product=388433&dest_page=solveCategory&cc=us&

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »
do you get any beeping on boot....

ddlive

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 02:52:37 PM »
None. No beeping whatsoever.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 03:21:10 PM »
take out the video.....card......and reseat it....check the port pins aree not damaged.........this maybe a graphics card problem......not ram........