Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.10  (Read 6570 times)

EEVIAC

Ubuntu 9.10
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:59:07 AM »
Just installed Ubuntu 9.10 onto an old Toshiba Satellite 4005CDS (notebook)

It's got a Pent. 2  and 256 MB ram...currently using a PC card to connect to my home wireless..  :)
...passive matrix lcd monitor..not so great...

The original HDD in this thing was only 4 GB... I've currently got Win98 installed on that HDD, but I  took it out and installed a 20 Gig. HDD that I got out of another old laptop, and put this Ubuntu on here..

I'm not much of a Linux user at this time, but it's fun to use if you feel like getting away from Windows for a little while.. 

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Ubuntu 9.10
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »
Have you used previous versions of Ubuntu?  If so, which ones?  What have you noticed different with 9.10?

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »
I've used Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy heron) before, but like I said I never used it much before so I wouldn't be able to tell you about significant differences.  Version 9.10 (karmic koala), however, does offer more desktop backgrounds   ;)
That much to do know

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »
Quote from: EEVIAC link=topic=94038.msg636086#msg636086
  Version 9.10 (karmic koala), however, does offer more desktop backgrounds   ;)
I have version 9.04 installed.  It has some fantastic screen savers. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:27:54 PM by soybean »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:16:02 PM »
Just installed Ubuntu 9.10 onto an old Toshiba Satellite 4005CDS (notebook)
It's got a Pent. 2  and 256 MB ram...currently using a PC card to connect to my home wireless..  :)
...passive matrix lcd monitor..not so great...
I did the same thing today with my 10-year old laptop.  Pentium II-333, 540MB RAM, 8GB HDD.  Took a long time to install from a CD-R/RW disc.  It automatically found all drivers, even for the Netgear PC Card.  It also had the drivers for my networked printer, which I manually had to install.  Attempting Ghost image backup, now.

My last Linux install was over 8 years ago and I hated it.  I think it was Corel Linux.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:42:12 PM »
My understanding, from discussing Linux Ubuntu with two guys from a local computer user's group, is that the general trend with Ubuntu has been toward a more user-friendly OS for those users or prospective users who don't want to take time to delve into the complexities of DOS-like command strings typed in Ubuntu's Terminal screen.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
It's a full GUI interface, not unlike Windows or MacOS.  I believe it can be installed without the GUI.

Fed

• Sage
    « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
    I've got 8.10 installed 'inside' windows, it feels strange seeing it in my Windows add/remove programs and then on the bootloader selection screen at startup.
    It's a painless way to try it out.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
    I've got 8.10 installed 'inside' windows, ...
    Fed, are you using some kind of virtual machine software such as VirtualBox or VMWare to run Ubuntu "inside windows"?  If not, how do you install it your way?

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »
      What I did Soybean was to go to the ubuntu website and order the free ubuntu disk, there's nothing better than having the real deal when it comes to software.
      A couple of weeks later the disk arrived in the mail as promised, quite amazing really. (It must cost them a fortune and I know this has been said before but I can see this being the demise of windows one day)
      On that disk there's an option to install it inside windows, it installs just like any other program. Boot into windows and put the disk in then follow the onscreen directions, choosing the install inside windows option.
      Needless to say, doing it this way requires no partitioning of your HDD.
      I've since removed it via add/remove programs and reinstalled it a couple of times without any problems at all.
      The only thing I don't like about it is Firefox, it doesn't seem to display web pages as nicely as IE but that may only need tweaking the fonts and text/page sizes compared to the screen resolution.

Computer_Commando

Hacker

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
      What I did Soybean was to go to the ubuntu website and order the free ubuntu disk, there's nothing better than having the real deal when it comes to software.
      A couple of weeks later the disk arrived in the mail as promised, quite amazing really. (It must cost them a fortune and I know this has been said before but I can see this being the demise of windows one day)
      On that disk there's an option to install it inside windows, it installs just like any other program. Boot into windows and put the disk in then follow the onscreen directions, choosing the install inside windows option.

Ok, now I'm recalling some of this.  I also had requested a Ubuntu disc via mail and saw that option during installation. So, I'm now aware of three ways to run a Linux distro, which are dual/mutliple boot, install inside Windows via the option given on one of those installation discs or using Wubi, or by installing virtual machine software and running Linux inside it. The latter method seems similar to the second method, with the VM software being an intermediary application between Windows and Linux.

Sezinho

Starter

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
        Hi every one :) I have never used any operating system except wo. but now I want to change to another operating system,I need your advice in this issue(actually I am very stupid I do not know if I can make it with another OP.)

james202428

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
        seziho What does Wo mean does that mean windows,   And you also said you would like another op is that os as in operating system,   If so you could use wubi just to try ubuntu without having to transfer all the data,   You will have windows and wubi you need to reboot your computer and you will have the choice between the two,    I don't think You'll like ubuntu anymore than windows,   It's fun to play around with but you really can't download any software for it,    It only has a few windows programs like google earth opera and firefox no internet explorer 8 safari   And many other programs you can't download,  you also can't download your games with ubuntu and it has many more downfalls,   But it does do somethings better than windows it's fast and quick on the internet that's what i mainly use it for it's a pain trying to get things to work with ubuntu to like youtube videos and getting programs like google earth it just isn't click and download sometimes like windows.  i would go with a mac if i had do get something other than a windows os.