Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disappearing mail?  (Read 2888 times)

SmittySr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Disappearing mail?
    « on: September 05, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
    I was wondering if some one could answer a question that has been bothering me. I roam from computer to computer to computer all day long. I use a computer at home, at work, at school, and sometimes from various remote locations. When I open my email at any of these locations or even through my web browser, it does not appear at any other location. I use internet explorer 8 and outlook express to view my mail the majority of the time. Sometimes I use Road Runner to check my mail, if I do not save the mail to a folder it disappears after a certain amount of time.

Now I am going to attempt to answer my own question. When I check my mail with outlook express, it is only on the local computer hard drive. When I check my mail on Road runner it is on their server which only will allow read mail to stay for an allotted amount of time(unless saved to a folder).

What I don't understand is that when mail is sent to me I can check it at any location, but once it is opened it no longer appears at any other location.

OK I think I just made myself dizzy!!!

truenorth

Guru

Re: Disappearing mail?
      « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
      SmittySr, In fact you HAVE answered your own question. Not familiar with road runner but what you have said about outlook express is so. Messages received will only be viewable on the machine that originally opened them.I vaguely recollect that there is a way to be able to access your outlook express account from other computers on a demand basis but even then i doubt it will have a history of ALL the outlook express received/sent/deleted e-mails. Hotmail will also allow retention of all regardless of the chosen computer.truenorth