Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 vs. Vista: Should we hold off on buying a new computer until October?  (Read 3264 times)

Kick Start

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I'm helping a friend who's new to computers. She wants to buy a new desktop. I have a question about new OS's that are on the cusp of being released to the mass public, as it pertains to buying a new computer with the paramount goal of the OS operating at top notch effieciency:

All of us know that if you buy a computer today it comes pre-loaded from a factory in China with Vista already installed on it. I don't know what that pre-load circumstance is called. I'll wait for someone to come along and tell us what the proper geek terminology is for that specific circumstance. For now I'll just call that condition 'pre-loaded.'

With the same scenario in mind, if you buy a computer today in September 2009, Windows will let you 'upgrade' to Windows 7 (upgrade online without the CD I think) when Windows releases it to the public in late October 2009.

I've overhead snippets of conversation where people claim that if you do an online upgrade that that type of OS installation is vastly or somewhat inferior to an OS that comes pre-loaded straight from the factory. Is that fact, or fiction? Cause my friend was wondering if she should hold her horses and wait until next month to buy a computer that comes pre-loaded with Windows 7 as opposed to buying one today with Windows Vista. Advantages? Disadvantages?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    This is bunk.

The best time to buy is before the Win7 release...reason being you wind up with a new machine with say Vista installed and your upgrade to Win7 is FREE...
    The DLoad is direct from Microsoft so the gentlemen that stated it would be inferior simply does NOT know what he's talking about.
    This is the perfect opportunity to get something for FREE and have the best of both worlds with a brand new machine.
    You could even when the time comes set it up as a dual-boot system and have full ver. of both Vista and Win7...this gives you the oppportunity to decide which is best for your needs...

NOTE: Most retailers if pushed hard enough will supply the actual DVD's with the full OS on it....this is the best scenario...but you have to push them to do so.
    Make sure you pursue this avenue at the time of purchase.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TechGeek

Intermediate
      • Guide to WiFi Optimization
    • Experience: Expert
    This is bunk.

The best time to buy is before the Win7 release...reason being you wind up with a new machine with say Vista installed and your upgrade to Win7 is FREE...
    The DLoad is direct from Microsoft so the gentlemen that stated it would be inferior simply does NOT know what he's talking about.
    This is the perfect opportunity to get something for FREE and have the best of both worlds with a brand new machine.
    You could even when the time comes set it up as a dual-boot system and have full ver. of both Vista and Win7...this gives you the oppportunity to decide which is best for your needs...

NOTE: Most retailers if pushed hard enough will supply the actual DVD's with the full OS on it....this is the best scenario...but you have to push them to do so.
    Make sure you pursue this avenue at the time of purchase.

I agree. If you buy now you get a Vista CD key plus an upgrade key you can enter online for your download. You get a lot more very cheap.
    I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.

hot dog

..reason being you wind up with a new machine with say Vista installed and your upgrade to Win7 is FREE...

Windows 7 is a free upgrade if you already own Vista?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Windows 7 is a free upgrade if you already own Vista?

No, it's a free upgrade when you buy a PC/laptop with Vista preinstalled.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hot dog

No, it's a free upgrade when you buy a PC/laptop with Vista preinstalled.

I have an eMachines computer that I bought in 2007 with Vista Home Basic installed....Does that count?    I really should try to keep up with these things  :P

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    The only way to find out would be to contact eMachines...but i doubt it if it's more than 6 months old...

hot dog

oh     :(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    I'd call them anyway...remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease...