Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU usage and CPU speeds  (Read 2068 times)

theChameleon

Topic Starter

Rookie

CPU usage and CPU speeds
    « on: September 06, 2009, 05:18:15 AM »
    hi...

i have a few problems with my computers

1. Desktop
    P4 3.2GHz, 3 x 1GB RAM @ 200MHz, Virtual Memory 1024MB to 4096MB, ATI 9650 (dual mon attached)
    HDD1: IDE 400GB (virtual mem here, in a 120GB system partition where all the OS and needed apps are stored)
    HDD2: SATA 1TB
    Monitor 1: 1680x1024
    Monitor 2: 1360x768

Problem #1: using CPUZ, sometimes, it runs at 3.2GHz, sometimes, it runs at 2.8GHz... doing the same thing. this value remains constant from startup to shut down. how do i make it 3.2GHz all the way?

Problem #2: it uses high amounts of CPU for the simplest tasks.

it seems like i will have problems with this on every even number installation (lol, i know, it's unscientific), even when i switch to using single monitor. using Google Chrome as an example, it uses roughly 60% CPU to open it. and the CPU runs at 100% whenever im doing something, and under 10% whenever im not doing something.

Problem #3: right clicking is not smooth - high lag.

whenever i right click on something, i'll have to wait for a sec or two.

Laptop:
    Dual Core 1.7GHz, 3 x 1GB RAM @ 333MHz

Problem #1: i have the battery profile set at "High Performance".

whenever i plug in the power, it runs at the full 1.7GHz, but whenever the power is unplugged, it runs at only 1GHz. this speed does not increase when im using CPU intensive apps. how do i make it run at 1.7GHz all the time?

thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: CPU usage and CPU speeds
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
    I suspect both desktop and laptop are using Pentium SpeedStep processors.  Clock speed changes depending on the use.

Desktop:  probably BIOS setting to turn SpeedStep off or in Windows Control Panel, Power settings.

Laptop:  It's supposed to reduce speed when on battery only.  This extends life of the battery.  Probably BIOS setting to turn SpeedStep off or in Windows Control Panel, Power settings.

theChameleon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 02:34:24 PM »
      I suspect both desktop and laptop are using Pentium SpeedStep processors.  Clock speed changes depending on the use.

Desktop:  probably BIOS setting to turn SpeedStep off or in Windows Control Panel, Power settings.

Laptop:  It's supposed to reduce speed when on battery only.  This extends life of the battery.  Probably BIOS setting to turn SpeedStep off or in Windows Control Panel, Power settings.

uh, i have checked the BIOS of the 2 computers... nope. no such entry...

for the Desktop i cant set the percentage of the CPU, and the Laptop's already set at 100% for both with the power plugged in and without.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »
      uh, i have checked the BIOS of the 2 computers... nope. no such entry...

for the Desktop i cant set the percentage of the CPU, and the Laptop's already set at 100% for both with the power plugged in and without.
      http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/203838.htm