Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issue with Sound Card.  (Read 2540 times)

Ironhand73

Issue with Sound Card.
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
Here is some of the info on my computer, and some of the things that I have upgraded or replaced.

PowerSpec® 9263
Processor
 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 550 with HT Technology
OS
 genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
System Board
 Intel® D915PGN
System Memory
 1GB composed of 2- 512MB PC3200 SDRAM 184-pin DIMMs
 Upgraded to 2 GB
Hard Drive
 300GB SATA 7200 RPM
Video
 nVidia GeForce FX 6200 PCIe 256MB
 Upgraded to nVidia Geforce 9400 1 GB DDR2
Sound
 Integrated Intel® HiDef Audio 7.1
 MESSED UP-FUZZY ON GAMES SLOWS DOWN VIDEO. CPU at 100% Playing some games.
Keyboard
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Upgraded Logitech G15

The problem is in the sound.  I have updated the drivers and such with no luck.  I am a pretty big gamer and sound has never really been issue.  From what I am understanding, I am looking for good performance in my games, however this sound card that I have now can slow my games down by using the CPU?

The intergrated card I have in now, seems to be acting up now.  3 different games have gave me buzzing sounds and It seems to slow the game down when alot of sounds are used in the games or repeating sounds over 2 to 3 times.  My question is what kind of sound card would help with my gaming?  Do all sound cards use the CPU?  Can someone kind of explain the basic sound card where it uses resources in the computer?  As long as I can hear the game in good quality I am ok with it, but I do not want it to be using up resources on the other performance end of the computer for the gaming play. 

ANY HELP PLEASE.

Eric1611

Beginner

Re: Issue with Sound Card.
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:23 AM »
    All soundcards use cpu-power.(Exept the Pro tools hardware-card but this costs $4500-$12900.-).Thats one of your questions answered.
    Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
    Richard Lamm.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:44 AM »
    All soundcards use cpu-power.(Exept the Pro tools hardware-card but this costs $4500-$12900.-).Thats one of your questions answered.
    No, that's incorrect. Most sound cards do NOT use the CPU, since they perform their processing in the card.

Cards like the Creative Live! series, which uses a EMU10K1 Chip to perform DSP processing; the Audigy series which uses a EMU10K2 chip, et-cetera. The same can be said for most other sound card companies as well. Note that "Value" series of any of these (the Live Value, Audigy SE, and X-Fi Xtreme Music) each use the host processor for sound, since they posess no sound chip (the X-Fi XtremeMusic, for example, does not have an X-Fi chip).

Even older 16-bit cards did most of their sound work On the card; things like the wavetable emulation of the AWE32.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Eric1611

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
      Sorry if I have given the wrong info.I run M-Audio 2626 with Pro-Tools and what people told me is that the card itself does not use cpu power but as soon as u run something(like a plug-in\softsynth ect.)on it it does start to use cpu-power.
      I never meant to give wrong info...What I do know is that the hardware Pro-Tools system is by FAR the "lightest" system for your computer...
      I`ll dive a bit deeper into this because it conceirns me...
      All the best;Eric............ :)
      Christmas is a time when kids tell Santa what they want and adults pay for it. Deficits are when adults tell the government what they want - and their kids pay for it.
      Richard Lamm.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »
      Sorry if I have given the wrong info.I run M-Audio 2626 with Pro-Tools and what people told me is that the card itself does not use cpu power but as soon as u run something(like a plug-in\softsynth ect.)on it it does start to use cpu-power.
      I never meant to give wrong info...What I do know is that the hardware Pro-Tools system is by FAR the "lightest" system for your computer...
      I`ll dive a bit deeper into this because it conceirns me...
      All the best;Eric............ :)
      Don't worry; from my quick little search I can assume that the M-audio is the card, and Pro-Tools is the software? or the other way around?

Either way, it's unlikely to be the "lightest" for the system; no relatively modern sound card consumes any processor time while playing WAVE, MIDI, or any number of other common formats, and cards like the Audigy and X-Fi can perform hardware processing of EAX effects for games. Most Professional Sound systems are in fact more likely to consume CPU power during things like EAX or other "consumer" oriented technologies: they are, after all, aimed at sound professionals; it's not the amount of CPU power they take but the quality of the output that concerns them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Tools

Additionally, only the most powerful setup you can get from them includes off-loading processing from the CPU; this is because, as I stated, professionals don't necessarily care about wether it takes CPU power, just  that the results are the best they can be, so DSP processing on a separate chip is purely a luxury.

This applies for both Sound cards and video cards: a "professional" level card will NOT suite the needs of your average consumer. professional Level video cards are designed for CAD and other features; although, admittedly, you CAN literally run games like COD4 and quake 4 with them at speeds in excess of 255fps, it's hardly a good reason to spend thousands on a video card when you can get suitably adequate performance (90fps or so) with something like a 9800GT, which is a little over 100 dollars.

The situation with sound cards is even worse; the professional level tools only have professional level features; EAX, and other game-oriented technologies are omitted at the cost of high-precision DSP signal processors and DSP processing drivers (for host-based processing) the idea with professional audio is to have the ABSOLUTE lowest signal to noise ratio, at any cost, this includes the omission (I would imagine) of such luxuries as EAX or A-3d, and perhaps adding 3d-processing type features as part of the signal circuitry, which can only be accessed via their own APIs; this means that running a game with such a system will be no better then running that game with a basic 2-speaker cheap PCI audio card, since all processing of EAX and other 3d audio data has to be emulated; (game makers generally don't include support for esoteric professional APIs).

Returning to the original question, however; as I noted, any non- "value" or "SE" model of card is likely to have on-card . processing of Audio data; My X-Fi, for example, performs MIDI, EAX 5, and so forth on-chip. The X-Fi Xtreme Audio (or it might be the Xtreme Music... whichever is cheapest) is not in fact a Sound card; you essentially pay for the emulation driver which then pipes it's output through the sound card, which has very little to do on it's own, aside from allowing output. This is the case for other cards; the SB Live! Value and Audigy SE, while having an appealingly low price, will likely be no better then onboard audio.

The question here is why you are getting fuzzy audio. If your processor is to slow for host -based processing, you are likely to get choppy sound, but fuzzy would appear to be a symptom of something like an IRQ conflict. Either way, a Separate sound card will certainly help, assuming it provides off-loading of processing from the CPU. The X-Fi is a popular card, but there are similar offerings from Turtle Beach, for example. Also, M-Audio has a line of consumer-oriented sound cards that are far more likely to wor kfor what a consumer uses, since consumers generally don't master Music albums or MIDI soundtracks for professional-level productions.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Eric1611

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »
        Yes Pro-Tools is the software and the M-Audio 2626 is the card...The processing power is needed for soft-synths and plug-ins(like reverb)...A softsynth like Omnisphere EATS processingpower.
        Best wishes;Eric.
        Richard Lamm.