Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Unable to Browse the Network"  (Read 2732 times)

Redeyes_Gambit

"Unable to Browse the Network"
« on: June 09, 2005, 12:03:39 PM »
}{'lo all!

I am trying to set up a computer (windows 98SE PII 350 Mghz) on my network. all the previouse times I have set up a computer for the network things have gone smooth as glass (as networking can go that is ;) ).
This time however after going through all the proper procedures of installing the card, the drivers etc. when I click on the "Network Neiborhood" icon and then "entire network" it gives me the error

"Unable to browse the network, the network is not accessable. For more information look in the help index bla bla bla..."

I have already tried 2 differant NICs and three seperate PCI slots and have had no joy. Under the system properties/devise manager/ network adaptors it says there are no device conflicts. And I have double checked the driver (first time it was wrong :P but has since been corrected). I cannot access either the LAN or the internet through the network. I can ping myself from the msdos box from in windows by using the DOS command "ping localhost" but I cannot ping another machine. I have tried two seperate cables and the port on my router was working last time I used it (maybe two days ago). The light on the NIC that says "link" is solid green so im guessing the connection is good. and all the computers are on the same workgroup.
whats wrong?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 02:46:25 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Redeyes_Gambit

Re: "Unable to Browse the Network"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:46:18 AM »
Nevermind, after going through THREE NIC's I swapped out with a known good one and after a pair of botched installs IT'S FINALY WORKING! WOOHOO! Apperantly even though Windows said that nothing was wrong with the NIC's and even though it had green lights on the second and third cards, something was wrong with them.

As the saying goes: the best computer technician is nothing without prayer!

Raptor

Re: "Unable to Browse the Network"
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:33:22 PM »
Did you first check to see if none of the assigned IP adresses were duplicates? It may have assigned your NIC a different IP adress.