Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I Want To Copy Everything(all directories) from "C' Drive to "D" Drive  (Read 8706 times)

BuyDell

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced

I Want To Copy Everything(all directecories) from "C' Drive to "D" Drive. Could someone give me that command please in DOS....?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I Want To Copy Everything(all directecories) from "C' Drive to "D" Drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
    xcopy c:\*.* /a /e /k

will copy everything located on c drive to the drive you are currently on

BuyDell

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: I Want To Copy Everything(all directories) from "C' Drive to "D" Drive
      « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »

WOW ! THAT WAS QUICK !  :o THANK YOU !

BuyDell

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »

So I would go to "D" drive then enter xcopy c:\*.* /a /e /k...? Is that a space between *.* and /a ?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »
            WOW ! THAT WAS QUICK !  :o THANK YOU !
        Now you sound like my wife.

BatchFileBasics

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »
          Now you sound like my wife.

AHA! nice one  :D
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix.

StarBaseONE2

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »
          Allen.

What does the /e and /k arguments do here? And would this work to move to another drive as the main system drive? (in other words could C: be retired after this, thus allowing D: to become C: (after it's removal)?

Sorry if this hijack of the original poster's attempt at information. I just want to learn!
          Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

Allan

• Mastermind

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:32:50 PM »

(in other words could C: be retired after this, thus allowing D: to become C: (after it's removal)?

No. XCopy does not, and cannot move the system files to the proper location on the new disk, does not write an MBR, and cannot move some files like the pagefile.

what you want is a disk clone utility.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

StarBaseONE2

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
          I have not had much luck with "clone" utilities.

If the drive was formatted with the system argument prior to this would that work?

That still wouldn't deal with the page file or MBR satisfactorily though would it?
          Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
          Sorry you haven't had any luck with 'clone" utilities but for this task it's probably the best tool...
          Which ones have you tried and what were the issues ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

StarBaseONE2

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »
          Seems like I got closest to success with success with Norton's Ghost after using Partition Magic.

Ive tried several others...

xxcopy

acronis?

I know I'm leaving out a few here...

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 01:37:43 AM »
          In the link that Allan posted there is a comand "/H" that "Copies hidden and system files also." Wouldn't that work to copy the files or are there other files that are made to not be copyable under the xcopy comand?
          Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 09:14:05 AM »
          In the link that Allan posted there is a comand "/H" that "Copies hidden and system files also." Wouldn't that work to copy the files or are there other files that are made to not be copyable under the xcopy comand?

Unfortunately no; while omitting the /H command would exclude various files, copying the system drive while the OS is running is apt to encounter Access Denied on various windows system files.

Additionally performing a XCopy will not write an MBR to the target disk, meaning it will not be bootable (quite a simple fix, actually) but the main problem, is in the access denied errors that are likely to be encountered. (preventing files from being copied... namely various Core DLL files) meaning even with a fixmbr (assuming the recovery console recognizes the install on the destination drive) there will still be missing files.  Copying them with copy in the recovery console might work, but I really wouldn't put to much faith in this method.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 05:51:18 PM »
          That makes sense. If I wanted to clone my OS hard drive what FREE tool would you recamend. The drive I want to copy is not the main OS drive but is the OS from my original PC. If I can clone the drive while in my current OS then that would be nice. I want to move it to a smaller drive so i can rebuild my old PC and use it for a server, but I don't need it on the drive it is on now.
          Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
          See Here... for my review on Macrium Reflect and a link to their site...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind

BuyDell

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »

It is telling me that /k is an invalid switch..? Please help.