Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Check boxes in tables in MS Word  (Read 9423 times)

Gavinz

Topic Starter

Starter

Check boxes in tables in MS Word
    « on: September 10, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »
    Hi. 1st time Forum user here. I run MS Office 2007 in XP. I previously used Office/Windows 2000. I used to be able to (1) insert check boxes in the tables I create in Word, and then optionally (2) insert an X in the box where applicable. I cannot find how to do either of these 2 operations in Word 2007, so I am having to cut and past from a previous doc to achieve this. Anyone help?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Check boxes in tables in MS Word
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
    Welcome to the forum. 

Click on Developer to open the Developer ribbon.  In the Controls section, you should see an icon for Legacy Tools.  In my Word 2007, it's the fourth item to the right on the second row of icons.  You'll see a Check Box option under Legacy Forms and another option under ActiveX Controls.  I'm not sure which you need but I hope this helps.

Gavinz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
      Thanks for the welcome Soybean and your reply. I've found the checkbox insertion icon under the Developer Tab and added it to the the Quick Access Toolbar as I use it all the time. Still cannot however find how to insert an X into the box when required

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
      I just now found out how to make the check box changeable.  For details, I suggest you use Word's Help and search on Add protection to a form.  When the search results appear, you should see Create forms that users complete in Word near the top of the list.  Click it to view the contents.  [The key step here is to "protect" the form.  Once you do that, it should work the way you want.]  In the Help contents, the key info on protecting is under a section titled Prepare a form to be filled out

Gavinz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »
        Thank Soybean. Sadly that was way over my head/capabilities to understand....BUT... I have found the answer elswhere.... After inserting the Check Box in the Form, double-clicking on the Box will bring up the Check Box Form Field Options window. Clicking on 'Checked' in the Default Value puts an X in the Box which is exactly what I want to do

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
        I had thought about telling you about that way to mark the check box.  You can do that but I'm sure you'll agree it's not really the most desirebable way to do it.  Indeed, that technique is not really intended to be used as a way to check or clear the box.  The Check Box Form Field Options window is for setting the default status of the check box, just as stated in that window.

If you can learn to protect the from, then the box will no longer have the gray background, which indicates it's not in normal usable status, and you or another user will, indeed, be able to check or clear to box as it should work.

This reference contains the same info on this topic as Help in Word but this may be easier to follow: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100307461033.aspx.  The parts you need to focus on are Add protection to a form and prepare it for distribution and Prepare a form to be filled out. The website also has 3 videos you can watch.  I think the third one could be very helpful to you. 

Gavinz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 05:55:24 AM »
          Protecting the Form was not the problem. Inserting a Check Box in the Form and then inserting an X in the Check Box where applicable was what I was seeking to do

Appreciate your help

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
          Protecting the Form was not the problem. Inserting a Check Box in the Form and then inserting an X in the Check Box where applicable was what I was seeking to do
          Gavinz, you're missing my point.  I know what you want to do and, as I've stated, I know you can insert a Check Box and you can make an X appear in it by going into the Check Box Form Field Options window. 

But, that does NOT create a properly working Check Box.  Suppose you were creating this form for others to use.  Are you going to give them instructions on changing the Check Box by your method?  That would look amateurish.   

To get the Check Box functioning properly, you DO need to protect the form.  Applying protection is the key to making the Check Box function the way it's supposed to function.  If you still don't get this point, I don't know how else to explain it.  Let me reiterate one more time, you need to protect the form if you want a properly functioning check box. If you're willling to accept an amateurish work-around approach by using your method, then that's your choice.
          « Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:08:04 AM by soybean »