Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epson Stylus CX5500 driver  (Read 38734 times)

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Epson Stylus CX5500 driver
    « on: September 13, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »
    My OS is Windows Vista and my printer is Epson Stylus CX5500.  Double-sided printing can be done.  But after a product recovery on my computer, double-sided printing no longer worked.

Durng the reinstallation of my printer after the recovery, a message in the notification area said "Installing device driver"  and then "Device ready for use".  This happened before installation from the Epson CD finished.

Is there a competition between the driver supplied by my OS and that from Epson?  What can I do to ensure I got the right driver?

Shu

Rookie

Re: Epson Stylus CX5500 driver
      « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:48:38 AM »
      I never heard of that.  I would get the one from epson but I would change to a differnt printer.  If I were you that is, I had two stylus c82 an 66 before long they experinced printing issues were I had to get the print heads cleaned.  :(

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »
        wmk,Not running Vista on anything but that shouldn't have an impact on your printer problem. I would recommend that :
        1.unplug the printer from the computer.
        2.Uninstall all current printer software from the computer.
        3.With your printer installation manual in hand follow EXACTLY" the sequence of re-installation of the printer as stated in the manual. (this is usually the area that causes printer issues).
        Post back with your results.truenorth

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
        Double check and make sure you didn't install the XP drivers by accident...Vista is VERY finicky with printers.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:49:08 AM »
          Durng the installation with the Epson CD, Windows Installer popped up in the notification area the minute I plugged in the printer USB to the computer.  The bubble from the notification area said "Installing device driver"  and then "Device ready for use".   This happened before the installation from the CD finished.

Does that mean the printer driver provided by Windows Installer got installed instead of the driver from Epson CD?

If so, is there anyway to go around that?

Shu

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 04:50:32 AM »
            It didnt prompt you other then that?  Its seening the disk or so I think it is.   ???  Have you all ready tried installing it?  Probably just seeing what you installed off the disk, then configing it after you reconnected it with whats in there all ready.  ;)

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »
            Remove the printer in Device Manager.
            Remove any Epson software from Add/Remove Programs...(Programs and Features in Vista)
            Power down the machine.
            Un-plug the printer.
            Power up and make sure the printer is gone from Device Manager...if not remove it again.
            Put the Epson CD in and run it.
            It will tell you at what point you need to plug the printer in.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:02:24 AM »
              Do i hear an echo?truenorth

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
              Yes...
              Since he hadn't tried it i felt it needed repeating...

Remember to include this step..

patio.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
                CX5500 is already gone from Control Panel -- Printers.
                In strict accordance with the printer manual, I did not connect my printer to my computer when I inserted the Epson CD.  And I did wait till it instructed me on the screen to plug in my printer before I actually turned on my printer and plugged in the USB cord.
                Still Windows Installer appeared with its bubble in the notification area, saying firstly "installing device driver", then "device ready for use"; this stage being reached before installation by the CD finished.

From Windows Help & Support, I gathered that typically Windows Installer detects a new device after you connect it and then installs the driver automatically.  This would seem to be the reason for the printer manual to caution against connecting the printer till instructed to do so.

How can I go around this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »
                This would seem to be the reason for the printer manual to caution against connecting the printer till instructed to do so.

How can I go around this?

That was already answered. You MUST unplug the printer, uninstall it fully, reboot, install the CD software, reboot and the right stuff should fall in place.Or something like that.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
                  I could do it all over from scratch, but there's no guarantee that Windows Installer will not interfere this time.   Is there any way to disable Windows Installer temporarily so I can complete the installation from the Epson CD?   And how can I activate Windows Installer afterwards?

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »
                  Do it all over from scratch...we don't type all this all out for nothing....
                  The Windows installer will stay out of the way and your printer will be installed.
                  Isn't that the goal here ? ?

I'm not getting testy ...just stating facts.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »
                    What I mean is completely uninstall my printer and do it all over again installing it from the Epson CD.
                    The Windows Installer has gotten in the way in my first attempt and that's why I am worried that the same thing will happen again.   That's why I asked about disabling it temporarily.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
                    Remove any Epson software from Add/Remove Programs...(Programs and Features in Vista)
                    Power down the machine.
                    Un-plug the printer.
                    Power up and make sure the printer is gone from Device Manager...if not remove it again.
                    Put the Epson CD in and run it.
                    It will tell you at what point you need to plug the printer in.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                      « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
                      It did tell me at what point to connect the printer.  And I did as instructed.  But the moment I plug it in, Windows Installer starts its work.

Anyway, I will do it all over again and inform you the result.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »
                      Then you have the wrong driver installation CD or it does not have proper Vista drivers...

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »
                        The Epson CD came with the printer and before I did product recovery the printer worked fine with my computer using Vista.

It still worked after the recovery except for double-sided printing.

I am going to reinstall again and tell you the result.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
                          wmk, Does anything here look like what you tried to install as the "proper" drivers? It does appear that the driver for Vista is the same as that for XP (unless it is the 64 bit version of either--in which case it is a different driver). I still urge you to start completely over following my and Patio's precise instructions.
                          http://www.epson.co.in/epson/drivers/driver_download.htm?dc=1&mode=3&m=false&catid=4&pid=1161
                          truenorth

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                            « Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
                            Truenorth, I will follow yours and Patios's precise instructions and will let you all know the result.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                              « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »
                              I did the uninstalling and then reinstalling according to your instructions.   Double-sided printing is still not working.  I would get the first page printed and then an error message:
                              "Page not printed or multi-page error
                                 A page has not been printed, multiple pages have been fed into the printer at once, or the wrong paper size has been fed into the printer.  Remove and reload the paper.  Press the Copy button if necessary."

Actually a page has been printed and no multiple pages fed and no wrong paper size.

I used the "driver update" function in the printer and was informed that I already had the latest version.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
                                wmk, When you refer to the "1st page printed" do you mean just one side of the attempt at a 2 sided print or do you mean it actually on that 1st page "printed both sides"? Although i have owned and used (and still do) many Epson printers i have never owned one capable of "double sided printing". However that feature sounds to me like it would be a programable option that would be chosen at print time by the user as desired as opposed to automatic all the time. Am i correct about that? It would be similar to choosing "landscape over portrait" for example or print quality as another example. When you used to have the function working did you have to select it when you wanted to print double sided? Have you checked out my earlier post re the "drivers" link i sent you? truenorth

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                  « Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 08:25:06 AM »
                                  I mean just one side.  Yes, double-sided printing has to be chosen at print time.  But it will stay that way until you chose again, like landscape over portrait.

I have gone to the link you provided about drivers and have noted the version there.  But I do not know how to check the printer driver version in my computer.  Pls tell me how.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »
                                    wmk, Here are the instructions for determining your current printer drivers. If you can do this then compare them with those that were offered from my previous post. If you cannot perform this check or you have further problems with installing replacement drivers (if required) then post back (well actually post back in any case describing what has occurred). If at that time you are still unable to correct this fault i am going to do some deeper research and will probably need a day or 2 to see what i can come up with. I certainly have not given up (yet). truenorth
                                    Installing the latest available driver for your printer may result in a variety of benefits, including increased system performance, improved compatibility with the latest technology, new component features, or the elimination of a technical problem. If you determine that your printer driver is out of date, you should check the printer manufacturer's website to see if an updated driver is available. Computer system and component manufacturers are constantly updating their drivers so that their hardware will be compatible with the latest software programs.

To determine the version of the printer driver currently installed on your system, proceed as follows:

Windows 98/Me
                                    Click on Start and from the Start Menu point to Settings; from the Settings submenu click on Printers to open the Printers window.

Windows XP/Vista
                                    From the Windows XP Start menu, click on the Printers and Faxes icon.

1. From the list of devices, right-click on your default printer's icon and select Properties.

2. Within the printer's Properties window, locate and click on Print test page.

3. All information about your printers model, ports used, driver names and dates will plainly be listed on the test page printout.

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »
                                    I'm thinking it's about time to read the Manual...

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                      « Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 07:02:36 PM »
                                      Truenorth, the driver version on the printer test page is 5.16.  The driver name is E_FMAICAP.DLL.  Additional files used by the driver are also listed, the last one being
                                      C:\Windows\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32x86\3\E_FBL6CAP.DLL (6. 3. 0. 0)

There is another version nbr from the Maintenance tab under Properties and that is 6.51.
                                      This is the same as the version nbr shown in:
                                      Control Panel - Printers - right click Epson printer - run as Adm - Properties - Advanced tab.
                                      (The printer test page is from the same Properties - General tab)

I have the feeling that the driver that gets installed comes from Windows Installer, which shows up on the Windows Printer Test Page as version nbr 5.16.

From the online manual downloaded from the Epson CD, I learned to use the driver update function in the printer.  This function is supposed to automatically finds and installs the latest version of the printer driver from Epson's website.  It also has the added advantage of removing the older version so you don't have to do that manually.  That's why I reported previously that I used this function and it said I already have the latest version of the printer driver.  But it did not show the version nbr.

The version from your link is ver.6.55 (07-2009)
                                         Filename: SDX4400_CX5500_4300_W2K_655 Es.exe

P.S.  I have to run as administrator to reach Printer test page

I have uninstalled and install ver.6.55, but no improvement.
                                      « Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:49:24 AM by wmk »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »
                                        wmk, Is it safe to conclude that the ONLY driver you have now on the computer is the "6.55" from the Epson site? All others have been removed? If your answer is yes i am going to do some more in depth research and will need a couple of days.truenorth

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                          « Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »
                                          Truenorth,  the printer driver version on the Windows Printer test page is still 5.16 as before, while the version nbr shown on the Maintence tab and the Advanced tab of Properties has changed from version 6.51 to version 6.55 after downloading your link

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »
                                            wmk, I have done more research and involved another printer expert and have a couple of things to either bring to your attention or i need more information about.The 1st is a link to a site for instructions (however i would not be surprised that what it says to do you have already done).
                                            http://windows.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/windows-vista-l/connect-new-vista-h-p-desktop-to-existing-epson-c-x-5500-printer-2937346
                                            Read it carefully (including the appropriate embedded links) to see if you have done all these things as stated.
                                            Next from the outset i have had confusion as to a term you used in your 1st post on the problem "I did product recovery the printer worked fine with my computer using Vista." What do you mean "product recovery"? What exactly is that that? Do you mean a "system restore" or what? If it was not a "system restore" then you may be able to get back to a time when this problem did not exist by doing a system restore to a date before it occurred.truenorth
                                            P.S. If it should become necessary here is a way to disable "windows installer"
                                            http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-103

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                              « Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »
                                              Truenorth, 1st -  thank you for taking all that trouble and time on my behalf.  Very much appreciated.

By product recovery, I mean completely wiping out what's on my Fujitsu laptop and then reinstalling the Vista OS and system files (including repartitioning my hard disk) using the recovery CDs that came with my laptop.

For future ease of communication, pls tell me how you would term this recovery.

I had to do such recovery because of the error 1606:
                                                 "could not access network location %APPDATA%\"
                                              This showed up when I tried to update Java and Adobe.  The problem could not be solved even with the help of a member of ComputerHope.  System restore did not help either.

It is after that recovery that the problem with my CX5500 printer concerning double-sided printing occurred.

I will look carefully at the links you provided and report back on any steps taken and progress made.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
                                                wmk, I am standing by (with fingers crossed for hopefully a eureka moment). In the meanwhile others may offer a more concise term but i would call what you did is a complete reinstall of the operating system and reformat of your harddrive. truenorth
                                                P.S. Of course as i am sure you know a time based restore is not an option now as a result of what you did.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                  « Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
                                                  Truenorth,
                                                  P.S. If it should become necessary here is a way to disable "windows installer"
                                                  http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-103

This article applies to XP, Windows 2003 and 2000 only.

And the link at the very bottom of the article -  [Windows Vista] Question about "Windows Installer Appears Every Time I start an application"  leads to the following article:
                                                     Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Is there another article dealing with disabling windows installer in Vista as I am reluctant to use the CleanUp Utility with its caution warning.  Or is there a way to simply remove Version 5.16 from Windows Installer's store of drivers?

Is there any significance in the Printer test page showing the following:
                                                     Environment: Windows NT  x86
                                                  « Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:31:28 PM by wmk »

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                    « Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »
                                                    Truenorth,
                                                    1. I downloaded Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.  Running it, I found only one Epson item in the installed programs listed and that is Epson Attach to email.  No Epson printer software.

2. From the Printer Test Page:
                                                        Driver name - E_FMACAP.DLL
                                                        Driver version - 5.16

3. I found this E_FMACAP.DLL in the following path:
                                                        C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\w32x86\3

4. Also in the above path are the additional files used by this particular driver.  These additional files are listed in the printer test page.

Would it work to remove this driver if I delete this E_FMACAP.DLL directly?  Will there be any dire consequences?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
                                                      wmk, I am not in a position to advise you re Vista as it is not an O/S i am familiar with to any great degree. However my effort at the moment is to enable you to disable "windows installer " in Vista so as to allow you to try and get the Epson 6.55 drivers installed for your printer. I note that you have gone ahead and used the one i previously linked which as you point out was for XP. I am going to include now corrected info that is related to the disabling of Windows Installer in Vista. Once you have achieved the Widows Installer disabling in Vista i would recommend again totally removing all current software and hardware from your computer as before. Then doing the reinstall (with installer disabled) as per the cx5500 manual and try to download the 6.55 drivers from the site given earlier. It is my belief that your current driver 5.61 is not for your Vista but appears to be designed for Windows NT.
                                                      http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-windows-7-support/256178-how-can-i-stop-windows-installer-start-up-install-windows-outlook-my-comput.html
                                                      Here is another but it does not specify if it is for Vista. But if by following the advice it leads you through Vista component then it is likely applicable.
                                                      http://anything2fix.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/disableinstaller/
                                                      Here is another that again does not specify the O/S
                                                      http://anything2fix.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/disableinstaller/
                                                      By the way ( i assume vista is similar to earlier O/S's ) in that you can go to control panel and under "printers" what printer(s) are shown as installed?
                                                      truenorth
                                                      P.S. Related to your question
                                                      "Would it work to remove this driver if I delete this E_FMACAP.DLL directly?  Will there be any dire consequences?"You will be doing that as a consequence of uninstalling "all" your printer software and hardware if we can ever get you "windows installer" out of the picture for the reinstall. I would appreciate at this point if one of the "Gurus" would come forth if they have a solution to the removal (or disabling ) of Windows installer in Vista that has worked

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                        « Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
                                                        Truenorth, Hooray! 
                                                        Your link techsupportforum.com provides the way to disable Windows Installer:
                                                         Start - run msconfig.exe -services tab (and not the startup tab as indicated in that post).

I'll be uninstalling Epson, then disabling Windows Installer and then reinstalling Epson.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Heartfelt thanks!

P.S. my idea of deleting the driver file for version 5.16 was so that Windows Installer wouldn't be able to install that version again from its driver store.  That was a way around being unable to disable Windows Installer.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                          « Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:08 AM »
                                                          Truenorth, Bad news.
                                                          Printer test page still shows the driver version to be 5.16, with the same driver name: E_FMAICAP.DLL.

Dead end for me!  Still, I learned a lot in the process thanks to you.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 07:22:28 AM »
                                                            wmk, I cannot understand why the 5.16 driver is still installed if all the printer software was removed and the printer was reinstalled with the 6.55 driver??? Absent other ideas from other members i have a rather different approach you can try. (it is a bit arcane to just get back to double sided printing). On a separate partition on your computer HDD (or on a different HDD-if you have more than one installed) install an XP version of windows and install the printer on that partition or HDD and for the double sided printing use that combination. Undoubtedly you are beyond the free technical support from Epson by telephone but they may still offer a tech support by email that is free. It doesn't have to be XP by the way 98 would probably be just as good (whatever you may have). I really am very disappointed we could not get this problem resolved and shall continue to devote a few more grey cells to the effort.Will let you know if anything new comes up. Also if you do somehow overcome this issue please post back so we can all learn how it became resolved.truenorth
                                                            P.S. If you have access to another computer with Vista on it you could try and install it on it and see what the result is.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                              « Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 09:15:49 AM »
                                                              Truenorth, the Epson printer driver software has indeed been removed.  That version 5.16 did not come from the Epson CD.  It must have already resided in the Driver store prior to my installation from the CD.  And eventhough disabled, Windows Installer still turned out in the notification area during my installation.  Puzzling.

I have already contacted Epson.  They installed it on a computer with Vista and there's no problem.  They are saying it's nothing to do with the printer and has to do with my computer.  And they stopped there.

There was no problem installing my printer software from the CD, back at the time I bought my printer.

I have a mind to delete the following files as shown on the Printer test page:
                                                                Driver name: E_FMAICAP.DLL
                                                                Data file:       E_FVIFCAP.VIF
                                                                Config file:     E_FUICCAP.DLL

If anything dire happened after the deletion, I'll do another reinstallation of my OS.  What is your opinion?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:37:16 AM by wmk »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
                                                                wmk, Yes i too had thought of another re installation of the O/S (given that you just did so recently ) as i doubted that you had as of this time accumulated too many irreplaceable files.However that to me is a bit on the drastic side and does not guaranty success. I might have thought at the outset that it was a compatibility issue with the Vista O/S. But when you noted that it had functioned OK with Vista on that computer earlier i felt no need to go there. Plus the now stated that Epson had it functioning on a Vista based computer really seems to isolate it to your computer. I cannot see it being a hardware issue so i feel certain it must be a conflict or absence of some software that is a the basis of the problem.I thought after i made my last post of another idea and I'll relay it now.
                                                                Given that you seem to have the ability to disable Windows Installer now--what if you went to the Epson site i previously gave you and downloaded the 6.55 driver to a know location (save as--or whatever Vista uses) to say a new folder on your desktop where you can easily locate it. Then after uninstalling all the hardware and software for the printer reinstalled it again and if the option exists to load a driver from a "known location" manually is available during the installation direct it to the folder on the desktop for the 6.55 from the folder you saved it in.Hope that makes sense.By the way what do you show in "control panel" under printer? Particularly AFTER you have uninstalled it but also when it has been reinstalled as per the manual? How many printers are shown as installed and what are their "properties"? Also it is not as if you cannot use the printer it is just not letting you use the one particular function. Not that i,m suggesting that you shouldn't be able to use it--you bought it with that function and you should have access to it. So you have a variety of options now and i guess you need to decide which if any that you want to try. The absence of any other forum members coming forth either indicates no new ideas or people may be monitoring us digging this hole deeper  ;D . Keep me informed as to what happens please. truenorth

patio

• Genius
                                                                • Maud' Dib
                                                                  • Yes
                                                                « Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »
                                                                I would have bought a new printer by now...they're disposable.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                  « Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
                                                                  Patio, money may not matter much to you, but I bought my printer just over a year ago and I have no intention whatsoever of disposing a perfectly functioning printer.  And according to Epson, it really wasn't the problem with the printer.  It has to do with my computer.   So would you now tell me to buy another computer, following the same logic?  I'm disappointed that you did not offer something more constructive.  The reason I kept on trying is that I'm simply bugged.

Truenorth, there's a point in checking the Control Panel about printers there.  I have more than one printer showing there and I'll investigate and report back. 

truenorth

Guru

Thanked: 253
                                                                    « Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
                                                                    wmk, More than one is not good (unless of course there are actually more than one). This could be the basis of your problem. The computer is defaulting to only one of them and if that is the one that is causing the problem then it will always display that one.There should only be one if one is all you have connected to that computer. You can change the default one to try and find if it finds one that will operate your double side option correctly or alternatively uninstall ALL of them and start again with a full reinstall following the instructions in your manual and including the manual install of the 6.55 driver if it allows you at some point to do that.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                                                    • Geek After Dark
                                                                    • Thanked: 1026
                                                                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                                                    • OS: Windows 10
                                                                    « Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »
                                                                    Yes i too had thought of another re installation of the O/S (given that you just did so recently ) as i doubted that you had as of this time accumulated too many irreplaceable files.However that to me is a bit on the drastic side and does not guaranty success.

Well... In all this time you could have tried a new install of the OS without destroying the original .
                                                                    In Vista you can adjust the size of the disk partitions and make room of a second install. The entire process may take several hours, but most of it does not require your attention.
                                                                    The new copy would be independent of the original. I don't use vista, but I have done this with windows 2000, Windows XP and windows 7. If you have a big hard drive it is practical to have  two or more Windows OS present on separate partitions.

You will not know until you try it.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2009, 06:55:53 AM »
                                                                      Geek,You will note that i did indeed earlier suggest a partitioned 2nd O/S (not Vista however as i stated i am not sufficiently conversant with it to be making recommendations re it's utilization) as a possible solution to the problem. I don't believe wmk has opted for that route yet.truenorth

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                        « Reply #44 on: September 23, 2009, 07:36:32 AM »
                                                                        Truenorth, the two other printers in Printers, Control Panel are:
                                                                        1. Microsoft XPS Document Writer
                                                                        2. Sent To OneNote 2007.
                                                                        So I don't think they affect the Epson printer.

Geek, I'd rather wipe it all out and reinstall my OS in C:, though I have both C and D partitioned equally to 80GB each.  I wanted my documents stored in D as a virus precaution and it seemed a waste of resources to have Vista on both partitions, what with the amount of Windows Updates nowadays.

Truenorth, Geek, I'm still thinking of deleting version 5.16, if possible.  But it seemed risky deleting a .DLL file.   Any advice?
                                                                        « Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:49:33 AM by wmk »

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »
                                                                          wmk, "1. Microsoft XPS Document Writer
                                                                          2. Sent To OneNote 2007"
                                                                          What are they? Do they actually exist? If not something you have or need. Delete them and then try to:
                                                                          1.Print a double sided document using the cx5500(assuming it too is still in the list)
                                                                          2.With the 2 above deleted try to uninstall and reinstall the CX5500 as per the manual and my instructions re the manual insertion of the 6.55 drivers as i earlier stated.
                                                                          3.You can overcome any interference of the other 2 (listed) if you make the one referring to the cx5500 the default printer (if for some reason your are unable/unwilling to remove the other 2)truenorth
                                                                          P.S. Your assumption about "not affecting" can be incorrect.If either one is being used as the default it can/will create an error if it/they are being asked to do something they/it is incapable of.I:E: print double sided.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                            « Reply #46 on: September 23, 2009, 08:34:10 AM »
                                                                            truenorth, the Epson printer is already the default printer.  Microsoft XPS Document Writer is for saving any document as an XPS document.  Sent To OneNote 2007 relates to the OneNote application in Office 2007.   Ports for both are Local Ports, one being the XPS Port and the other Sent To Microsoft OneNote Port.  They are not actual physical printers like the Epson one.

Print to the XPS Document Writer when you want to create, send, and share or publish documents that you do not want other people to modify, or when you want to print a document or display it online exactly as it appears on your screen. It's also a good idea to create an XPS document for files that contain graphics or illustrations that might otherwise display differently in print than online or on computers with different monitors.
                                                                            (This is from WindowsHelp)
                                                                            « Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:49:05 AM by wmk »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                                                            • Geek After Dark
                                                                              • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                                                            « Reply #47 on: September 23, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »
                                                                            Quote
                                                                            Geek, I'd rather wipe it all out and reinstall my OS in C:, though I have both C and D partitioned equally to 80GB each.

My intent was to try to influence you to do a second install as a diagnostic tool.
                                                                            A new 20 GB partition is enough to install bare Vista. You can remove it later.

If you can repeat  the symptom in the new install, it points to the printer failing. (Which is what I suspect.) The new install only needs to be the bare OS and your word processor and the printer drivers. If you duplicate the same problem, it has to be the printer. Don't put stock in what Epson told you. Prove them wrong.

Google search shows this problem to be widespread.
                                                                            Just do it and you will and an answer  ;D

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
                                                                              wmk, I concur with Geek's rational and that is why i also suggested it earlier. With one slight difference. If indeed another O/S installation (even if it turns out to be Vista) does enable the "double sided" functionality of the printer then you could keep it for that one purpose. If you do go Geek's route with a 2ND install (on a partition) with Vista and it does work then you could either keep the double Vista boot or remove the one now installed and replace it and then remove the test one. Clear i hope. Thanks for the explanation of those 2 other items listed under "printers'. truenorth
                                                                              P.S. While it certainly may be a possibility that as Geek suggests a printer "failing" i am not inclined in that direction as i understand it this only occurred after your Vista reinstall.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                                                              • Geek After Dark
                                                                                • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                                                              « Reply #49 on: September 23, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »
                                                                              Over a year ago people were gripping about the Epsom double sided printing.

Either the driver does not install correctly or Windows does not recognize it. The problem is specific to Epsom. Either way, users are not happy. Here is a post over a year ago. It was one of many on a Google search.

Quote
                                                                              ... purchased this product after my HP 5610 stopped working. I make heavy use of the ADF scanning and noticed the Epsom Workforce 500 was billed as supported duplex printing. Both of these selling points failed to perform as expected and I returned the unit...

End of my rant. 8)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
                                                                                Geek-9pm, Take some "Epsom salts" to help you recover from your "rant" re the "Epson" printer problem of wmk, ;D truenorth

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                                  « Reply #51 on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:03 PM »
                                                                                  Truenorth, Geek,  from the CDs that came with my computer, I have one that boots, another that contains Vista and one software drivers and the last software applications.  Pls tell me how to install "the bare OS" on D:.

P.S. I do not have other Windows OS available.
                                                                                  « Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:39:59 PM by wmk »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                                                                  • Geek After Dark
                                                                                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                                                                  « Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
                                                                                  Why didn't you say so!
                                                                                  Here is a link you may or may not enjoy. You decide.
                                                                                  Looks like Geek to me!   8)
                                                                                  http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/make-a-vista-cd

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                                                                                    « Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 09:30:38 PM »
                                                                                    Geek, I would like to run the steps with you first:
                                                                                    1. Make a folder called Vista install files and copied the entire contents of the recovery DVD to that folder.  Question: I have 4 CDs - one to boot, 2nd to install Vista, 3rd for software drivers, and 4th for software applications.   Do I download all of them or what?  And where do I place this folder?  in C: or D:? 

2. Download VLite 1.1, then 1.2 from www.vlite.net.

3. install Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK).

4. manually transfer wimgapi.dll from waik to vlite.

5. start vlite and point it to the folder in 1.   Question: how do you point it to the folder?

Did I get it right?

Then do I burn a CD from whatever resulted from the customization by vlite?
                                                                                    And afterwards, do I just insert that CD in the CD drive E: and then what?

dipso

Starter

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 03:36:26 AM »
                                                                                      Epson 5500 driver download

patio

• Moderator

• Genius
                                                                                      • Maud' Dib
                                                                                      • Thanked: 1769
                                                                                        • Yes
                                                                                      • OS: Windows 7
                                                                                      « Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
                                                                                      The Thread is 6 months old.... ::)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                                                                      • Geek After Dark
                                                                                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                                                                      « Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »
                                                                                      The Thread is 6 months old.... ::)
                                                                                      But it got Read 2822 times   ;D

dipso

Starter

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
                                                                                        'm sorry, I did not pay any attention  :-\

patio

• Moderator

• Genius
                                                                                        • Maud' Dib
                                                                                        • Thanked: 1769
                                                                                          • Yes
                                                                                        • OS: Windows 7
                                                                                        « Reply #58 on: April 16, 2010, 06:21:51 PM »
                                                                                        'm sorry, I did not pay any attention  :-\

No apology neccessary...Welcome to CH !

dipso

Starter

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2010, 12:10:54 AM »
                                                                                          Hi All,

Epson Stylus Pro 5500 Driver download link page
                                                                                          Good Luck