Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ram cycling  (Read 3466 times)

Jo

ram cycling
« on: June 08, 2005, 05:55:44 PM »
Help!

Loaded all the hardware into a new motherboard, done this before with no problems.  This time when I plug it all in go throught bios seems fine, but the ram keeps cycling none stop unless I press escape and the computer will not start.  Any ideas?  Ever seen that before?  Maybe I am just being blonde?  Driving me fricking crazy! ::)

Raptor

Re: ram cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:51:14 AM »
1. Is the RAM compatible with your mainboard?
2. Is the RAM firmly seated?
3. Have you taken precautionary measures against electro-static discharge when handling the RAM modules?

Jo

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:52:36 AM »
yes yes and yes, never seen this happen before

???

Jo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:21:44 AM »
I guess I will go and buy some new ram and see if that helps, the ram came off of the motherboard I am using so I can't see how it would be uncompatible.  I have a work area that is static resistant as I can make it.  I am pretty sure that new ram will not solve this problem but I am willing to try anything at this point. If anyone has seen this kind thing before I would appreciate their input. :o  ???

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 11:25:22 AM »
if I recall correctly, RAM that is constantly being counted during POST is most likely faulty.

Have you tried installing the RAM module in a bank #2, #3 or #4?? Assuming you have more than one bank.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 11:26:55 AM by Raptor »

Jo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:02:28 PM »
I tried the ram in all the blocks only cycles in the first block doesn't register at all in the other blocks.  seems kind of wierd that it reads how much ram it is in block 1 but then goes back to zero, and the ram is the original I never actually took it off the motherboard until it started to cycle, seems odd it would just "go" all by it self.

Jo

merlin_2