Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor keeps going black periodically  (Read 3971 times)

barneyjo

Monitor keeps going black periodically
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:37:30 AM »
I have a problem I have not been able to find an answer to on the web, thru forums or thru Samsung of NVidia.  Surely someone has an answer.  I recently had a new Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 4000 card placed in my machine.  I then followed up by having to replace my monitor, which I bought a Samsung 790DF.  My problem is the monitor will periodically go black, the green lite on monitor goes off and then within a few seconds it comes back on.  This causes no real problem except when my husband is playing DreamQuest's championship spades or hearts - then it can and does sometimes lock up.  I have checked the card to be sure it is in tight.  The fans are all working ok.  I have plugged the monitor straight into the outlet, instead of a surge strip, I have all the most current drivers, bios, etc for my card.  What does a person do?  I have tried other monitors, same problem.  I have not tried another video card though.  Should I pick up a new one and install it to see if the problem is with the card?  I am at a loss.

Raptor

Re: Monitor keeps going black periodically
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 11:28:58 AM »
Is your monitor set to save energy?

1. Right click on your Desktop
2. Properties
3. Screensaver
4. Energy button

See if altering the energy saving schematics will cause a positive effect.

Brenda Barnett

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 08:14:50 PM »
I played with the energy settings some and I cannot tell any difference.   ??? Any other ideas.  I see this item posted on other forums and no one, as I can see, has found the true answer.  Of course, I realize everyone's problem may be something different.  What about BIOS settings?  I usually steer clear of there, but what the hey!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 08:24:48 PM »
    Brenda are you barneyjo or is this a new question?

barneyjo

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »
    Sorry, one in the same person.  I didn't realize I posted the last info without logging in until it was too late.  Pretty bad when you type your name in and still don't realize you are not logged in.  Same thread, same problem, still cannot seem to resolve it.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 12:31:41 PM »
    Test both monitor and videocard on another system.