Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen is black with a couple of ms of view every2 s or so  (Read 2183 times)

nick321go

Screen is black with a couple of ms of view every2 s or so
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
I have a custom build unit with this lot in it

Win Power ATX 500 (max output 500WATTS)
SATA II Quad core Conroe Kentsfield PCI Express m/board with dual channel DDR 4oo/DDRII 667
4 x 2.33 MHz Intel processors
2 x 1GB RAM
ASUS EN9500GT nVidia GPU (upgraded 2 months ago)
SAMSUNG 250GB Hard drive @ 7200rpm (200+ freespace)
OS Windows XP SP2
Monitor is a 19" AOC International 60/50Hz with 5ms response rate.

I press the power button and all fans etc come to life, the screen flickers and then flashes every 2s or so. It boots up fine (getting a blink of the usual boot up process in between the 2s of blackness)
What i have done so far;
Opened programs and run them (using the couple of milliseconds of viewing time to navigate with the mouse) (patients  :o) )
So I have taken out the RAM, cross checked them in each others slots, run them separately in either slot, with no change.
Taken out the GPU cleaned the contacts, made sure the slot was clear of dust to, refitted.... still no change.
Hibernated the system many times, this was successfull on three occasions, when following pressing the Hibe button, the screen went to the yellow box "No Video Signal" (this has ONLY happened three times in two weeks!) when seeing this I pressed any key to bring the system out of hibernation and all worked ok. Shut down as usual, only to find that it will not be visual on the next start up. Back to the 2s flash.
When in Hibernation the screen flashes every 4s or so.... and apart from the few times mentioned above; no messsage that it has fully gone into hibe??? any ideas of which way to go Guys?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Screen is black with a couple of ms of view every2 s or so
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:06 PM »
Last time this flickering screen thing has happened to me it was the gpu.  It could aslo be the monitor.  Try a different monitor and see if it helps.  If not get a different gpu