Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installed xppro over xp home computers gone nuts help  (Read 2619 times)

redlock

Topic Starter

Starter

installed xppro over xp home computers gone nuts help
    « on: September 15, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »
    dell dimension PC 80g DD maxator,factory cd rom,no floppy drive.changed desk top background and screen went black.could not get back up.used boot cd to reboot to repair console,couldn't fix there.did reinstall lost all data then ntldr is missing pops up,checked bios,cables,drives,power cables,everything,finally got usb to replace boot,got computer back up started reinstall of xppro gets all the to the first reboot to set up and says arsms file missing please insert cd xp pro but cd is still in cd drive.eject reinsert but same thing.tried i386 from usb but wont load file from there.cd drive activity light blinks slow and steady same intervals.checked power cable,seems like not reading disk,cleaned xp disk no change is a new disk from cdsfu.com already installed on 1 computer and works fine but cant do this one,disk is unlimited install and licence key.cant figure it out any ideas?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: installed xppro over xp home computers gone nuts help
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
    ...disk is unlimited install and licence key...
    Those won't do upgrades or repair installs.  Clean installs only.

redlock

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:27:26 PM »
      thats what i tried to do.deleted partition and try to do a clean install  from raw drive.it loaded all files and booted window and made it to the 39 min remaining for set up then rejected the *censored* or want read it . did my dell that way when i upgraded the hdd and ram and video card,and did a complete install and works fine.but didnt on this dell.have loaded it on several comp and had no problem till now.what can i do to get moms comp back up and going?

StarBaseONE2

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »
      Is there possibly a BIOS update for the board?

I've run into situations where the CD didn't work well for loading any OS until that had been accomplished.
      Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:00:35 PM »
      Is there possibly a BIOS update for the board?

I've run into situations where the CD didn't work well for loading any OS until that had been accomplished.

And what would that have to do with a BIOS update ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

StarBaseONE2

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
      I have run into at least two instances where the CD was not a reliable boot device, no matter what boot order was established, with out the updated BIOS...

I don't know if this would be a factor here, but it sounds like there may be a CD device problem...
      Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

digvijay

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
      ntdlr is a file that calls up the registry to start the computer.............

u cant directly boot from pendrive because many bios fails to detect operating system from it............

make a bootable xp cd and format using it...........

if then to it does not work go to bios menu>advanced option >and set  1st boot device to dvd-rom.

this will work...............................dont panic .

dont try to repair windows  just reinstall it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
      Quote from: digvijay
      ntdlr is a file that calls up the registry to start the computer.

Please explain this statement and post a reference to the relevant information.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

digvijay

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:33 AM »
      ntdlr is a very  important system file ie hidden in home directory............................

the home directory is gnerally c drive in windows...................

this file as due to its impotance its hidden by the system

this file runs in bootup and calls operating system on startup..................

if it goes missing then the windows will fail to boot up................

it will give it in detail after some time or read the book mastering windows registry u will get it.............

and also i will provide the book for download after some time.............

[attachment deleted by admin]

redlock

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »
        thanks for the help,tried all those things none worked.so i changed hdd,ram to 2g,motherboard bettery,bigger power supply,new cooling fan.now it works and runs way faster than it used to.dont know wich was problem so i replaced them all.