Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to Install Printer Due to Missing File  (Read 7965 times)

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

Unable to Install Printer Due to Missing File
    « on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
    I have A Dell DHM desktop, and have been unable to install my HP printer (Model PSC 1610 All in One).  I read, in another thread, that All-in-One printer software won't download on Windows XP Service Pack 3, which is what I have. (Grrrr....!)

The error message I keep getting is "The file 'hpzimc.09.dll' on HP cd is needed."  It happens regardless of what I do.  I have tried using my printer disc to install.  I have tried downloading software and drivers from the HP site, to no avail.  Everything gets hung up on this missing file.

I tried contacting HP's "Live chat," but was unable to complete the process, as it requires a printer to already be installed!  (Again; Grrrrr...!)

I attempted to contact Dell, but without an "Express Service" tag number, they were unable to do anything!  (There is no such tag on this refurbished unit, which was purchased as a gift on eBay.)

My questions are:  Is there a way for me to acquire this file (safely) to get my printer installed?  What other options are there?  (Purchasing a new printer is off the table, as I currently have no income.)

If I tear any more of my hair out over this, I may need referrals for a good wigmaker! ;D

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Kaligo

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Unable to Install Printer Due to Missing File
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
      I am able to download software and drivers.  That takes quite a long time, but it's doable.  It's the actual installation that hangs me up, with that missing file.

Is there something obvious that I am missing or not doing?

Thanks,

Kaligo

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:17:50 PM »
      Sorry, I misunderstood. See if this helps: http://www.dll-error-fixes.com/fix-hpzimc09dll-errors/

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
        My initial post was fuzzy on that point.  Sorry about that!  I will check out the link.

Thanks!

Kaligo

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
          Upon following the link, I recognized the page.  I have downloaded from this site before.  There has not been an issue with the download per se; only when I attempt to do an install.

Is there something really obvious that I am missing here?   What would you recommend that I download from this page?

Thanks,

Karyn

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
          I think he wants you to follow the instructions that are shown on that site.  Don't download anything from it.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »
          Did you read the whole page?

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
            I did sift through this page, but there were no references that were helpful for my particular printer/missing file issue.  I registered on their customer forum also.   I also did a Google search by the name of the missing file.  I found a number of entries, but no offered downloads had any guarantees of being safe.

I'm uncertain of what else to do. 

Thanks again,

Kaligo

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »
            I don't know what page you're looking at, but look again:
            http://www.dll-error-fixes.com/fix-hpzimc09dll-errors/
            The title is: How to Fix Hpzimc09.dll Errors

Try all the Methods listed, then come back and report the results to us.

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:45 PM »
              Not sure how I missed that!

I did do a search some time ago, and found a similar document.  Method 1 does not apply.  I followed Method 2 to the letter.  The same error message appeared when I tried to install again.

I'll follow up with Method 3. 

Onward.....

Thanks,

Kaligo

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
                Method 3 did not work.  With Method 4, I'm confused by the statement "Copy all the cd files to your hard drive."  Is this referring to my printer install disc?  With Method 5, no site can guarantee the safety of a download, so I'm loathe to try it.

I did click on (and download) Driver Detective, which found 13 out-of-date drivers and 4 devices with no drivers.  Registration (and fixes, it seems) are available for a charge of $9.95 for 2 years.

Are driver downloads available for free anywhere, or am I better off paying the $9.95?  Perhaps, since I don't know what those drivers are, aside from my printer, I'm better off paying a small charge?

Thanks for all the help!

Kaligo

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
                Method 3 did not work.  With Method 4, I'm confused by the statement "Copy all the cd files to your hard drive." 
                1.  Is this referring to my printer install disc? 
                2.  With Method 5, no site can guarantee the safety of a download, so I'm loathe to try it.
                I did click on (and download) Driver Detective, which found 13 out-of-date drivers and 4 devices with no drivers.  Registration (and fixes, it seems) are available for a charge of $9.95 for 2 years.
                3.  Are driver downloads available for free anywhere, or am I better off paying the $9.95?  Perhaps, since I don't know what those drivers are, aside from my printer, I'm better off paying a small charge?
                1.  Yes.
                2,3.  www.driverguide.com
                Free registration, free downloads.
                BTW, I hate HP all-in-one printers and their excessive software packages which never seem to work all that great.

Kaligo

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
                  Unfortunately, these driverguide downloads are not free either, and they seem to charge per download.  It seems my prior option was a better choice, cost-wise.

I bought the All-in-One mostly because it was inexpensive.  On my last computer (a Systemax), it installed just fine, and worked well.  The entire problem seems to stem from one missing file.

Thanks again, CC!

Kaligo

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  « Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
                  Unfortunately, these driverguide downloads are not free either, and they seem to charge per download.  It seems my prior option was a better choice, cost-wise.

I bought the All-in-One mostly because it was inexpensive.  On my last computer (a Systemax), it installed just fine, and worked well.  The entire problem seems to stem from one missing file.

Thanks again, CC!

Kaligo
                  Yes, they are free.  Don't know what you're doing wrong.  Maybe you need new eyeglasses?
                  Scroll down to Free Membership.  http://members.driverguide.com/ums/index.php?action=rc