Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Suspicions of Malware on my laptop  (Read 2931 times)

Razor

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Suspicions of Malware on my laptop
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:34:37 AM »
Hi guys and girls

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5920G, with Intel Core 2 duo processor, and running windows Vista SP2. My antivirus program is Avast and I also run half monthly scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. My browser is Firefox.

I have got a feeling that there may be something nasty on my laptop that I can't find. Last week I clicked on a link from Google and this screen pops up saying that my laptop has problems and starts a scan screen. I click the cross to close it, but this simply opened another screen asking if I wanted to scan my computer. I suspected a virus so I shut off the internet and powered down my laptop. After restarting I immediately ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Malwarebytes detected nothing, and all Superantispyware picked up was 3 tracking cookies which it finds all the time. Since then  startup times have been increasing for the last week. I have run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware a couple times since then (See logs) but they have detected nothing. I have also posted a hijackthis log done a few minutes ago. I am wondering if despite me closing off the internet and powering down a virus managed to get in.

Also I nearly forgot - my internet has slowed down lots - more than just a usual busy period. For example a 5 min youtube X factor vid would have played through smoothly no gaps, maybe a minute to reach full download - now its taking close to 10 minutes. I am wondering whether a virus is causing this as well? I have checked my bandwidth and its fine, got lots of capacity left.

Can you see anything that might be causing problems? Is it possible that there are other causes for system slow down?

Thanks

Razor

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:00:31 AM by Razor »
A lesson with power: "I moved the red psu switch from 240v to 110v then it went poof!"