Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to copy & run batch file remotely  (Read 18671 times)

Yogesh123

Topic Starter

Beginner

How to copy & run batch file remotely
    « on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:49 AM »
    I have created one batch file on server, such that -
    If the client is logged in into server for more than 8 hrs then kill the perticular task of that client remotely.
    server = has a log of clients - i am reading the client login & logout logs from the log file.
    Uptill this all ok..
    ----
    problem 1) = But for killing the task i need to run taskkill cmd on client pc,
    i have created that file also, but the problem is How do i send that file to the client machine? because i do not have the folder shared in my client pc & sharing permissions are also not there.
    problem 2) = and also for executing taskkill batch file remotely - i can use PSexec cmnd. but for sending that cmnd, i have to pass on the client domain credentials(username & password) which i do not have, I have the credentials of administrator account but system doesn't accept those.
    eagerly waiting for the answer, thankyou in advance.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: How to copy & run batch file remotely
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:22:03 AM »
    Are you the IT guy or something? Maybe you're doing something you're not allowed to do in the first place.
    Where's MagicSpeed?
    Quote from: 'matt'
    He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Yogesh123

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 05:58:55 AM »
      Why do u think so?
      As i said folder sharing is not allowed, it means i'm working in domain & domain is not having sharing rights, so my quastion was without folder sharing - How would i transfer files on remote machine.
      & secondly about omiting credentials means i cannot enter all the domain users credentials in a batchfile, so quastion was - Can i make use of administrator password which is comman for all.

wbrost

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »
        yes you can. It would need to be a local or service account that every PC has been set up to give admin rights. You could also prompt for the domain/userid and password in the batch and use variables so the password is not hard coded in the batch. If you do not have admin right then you will not be able to do this.

Yogesh123

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:19 AM »
          Dear wbrost,
          Yes iam having the administrator username & password of those client machines,
          and It is ok for me to hardcode the variables (username & password) because all my client machines are having same administrator username & password.(administrator account is also exists).
          Note:- all the machines are using domain account
          but how would i go forward.

wbrost

Intermediate
            « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:01:34 AM »
            you could try the following:

map the network drive to the remote system.
            copy down the batch or using echo make on on the client system.
            set up a scheduled task using the at command to start the batch at the desired time.
            remove the mapped network drive and move on the the next system.

rinse and repeat :)

or you could ask the domain admin to set up a service account to use fro the PSexec commands.

Yogesh123

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 02:20:17 AM »
              you could try the following:

map the network drive to the remote system.
              copy down the batch or using echo make on on the client system.
              set up a scheduled task using the at command to start the batch at the desired time.
              remove the mapped network drive and move on the the next system.

rinse and repeat :)

or you could ask the domain admin to set up a service account to use fro the PSexec commands.

Dear wbrost,
              I have created batch file on my server m/c, The operation of my batch file is like this,

1) I have log file in my server which records client login logout time, For particular user if the logout log is not exist(means application is still on & it is consuming license from the license server) then i am reading the clients last login time & date,
              2) Checking the date & time difference with current date & time
              3) If the time difference is greater than 8 hrs & date difference is greater than 1 day
              4) Then, copy the killprocess.bat file from server to client machine & execute that batch file on client machine remotely to kill that perticular process.
              -----

killprocess.bat file has one liner code,
              cd\
              taskkill /F /IM processname.exe
              ------
              Issues/ Problem i am facing are,
              1) for copying killprocess.bat from server to client machine requires shared folder on client pc. as said earlier my domain restrictions doesn't allow me to share folders in client pc.
              2) even if i manage to copy the killprocess.bat file somehow, for executing that batch file remotely using PSEXEC command also requires the shared path where the killprocess.bat is located - How can i execute process remotely without having shared folder in client pc? is there any alternate to execute batch file remotely?

I thing now i have explained my problem in more detailed.
              Eagarly waiting for the reply, Thanks in advance.

wbrost

Intermediate
                « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »
                1) if you have access to the system you can map a network drive using the administrative share.
                example: \\computername\c$
                this will give access to the root of the c drive on the system computername

2) using the at command you can schedule a remote task to execute at a specific time.

The AT command schedules commands and programs to run on a computer at
                a specified time and date. The Schedule service must be running to use
                the AT command.

AT [\\computername] [ [id] [/DELETE] | /DELETE [/YES]]
                AT [\\computername] time [/INTERACTIVE]
                    [ /EVERY:date[,...] | /NEXT:date[,...]] "command"

\\computername     Specifies a remote computer. Commands are scheduled on the
                                   local computer if this parameter is omitted.
                id                 Is an identification number assigned to a scheduled
                                   command.
                /delete            Cancels a scheduled command. If id is omitted, all the
                                   scheduled commands on the computer are canceled.
                /yes               Used with cancel all jobs command when no further
                                   confirmation is desired.
                time               Specifies the time when command is to run.
                /interactive       Allows the job to interact with the desktop of the user
                                   who is logged on at the time the job runs.
                /every:date[,...]  Runs the command on each specified day(s) of the week or
                                   month. If date is omitted, the current day of the month
                                   is assumed.
                /next:date[,...]   Runs the specified command on the next occurrence of the
                                   day (for example, next Thursday).  If date is omitted, the
                                   current day of the month is assumed.
                "command"          Is the Windows NT command, or batch program to be run.

if you still have questions please let me know.

Yogesh123

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:59:01 AM »
                  Dear wbrost,
                  You are correct,
                  but as i said earlier my domain client pc doesn't have share folders, instead the sharing permission is not exist.
                  and i suppose the mapping drive is possible only if the client machine has the shared folders in it.
                  pls correct me if i am wrong.

wbrost

Intermediate
                    « Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »
                    there is actually a shared folder by default. This is called an administrative share. The administrative shares can be accessed by putting a dollar sign ($) after the drive letter.

example for the administrative share for the C drive would be: \\computer\C$

to see if the system has the administrative share active do the following:

Right click on my computer
                    click on manage
                    expand shared folders
                    click on shares.

Yogesh123

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 06:56:14 AM »
                      Dear Wbrost,
                      I'm getting following error while accesing those folders,
                      Error 5: Access Is Denied.

Is there any other alternate to copy file remotely (without sharing)
                      ------
                      Can i make use of FTP for pushing batch file?
                      But i suppose FTP doesn't pushes anything, somebody has to push data to him & Pull data from him,
                      pls correct me if i am wrong.
                      (If above happens through FTP, i can make use of AT command to schedule that batch script as suggested by you.)

wbrost

Intermediate
                        « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »
                        How are you thrying to access the computer when you get the error message?

you can test access out side the command line by doing the following:

click on start
                        click on run
                        type in \\computername\C$

when prompted enter the following:
                        user name -  computername\accountname
                        password  -  password for account

you need to make sure you are connecting as the account on the remote system.

please see the below command switches for reference:

NET USE
                        [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
                                [/USER:[domainname\]username]
                                [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
                                [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
                                [/SMARTCARD]
                                [/SAVECRED]
                                [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]