Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i have no idea what to do with window product activation, please help.  (Read 5578 times)

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

hello everyone.

i think i have got some problem with one of my computers. i never used this computer to connect to the internet. the specs is window xp sp2 and an old desktop basically, i don't remember the ram and the hdd. for weeks this pc run just fine. but yesterday i found some trouble which made me impossible to log on to the windows. i got this message below:

"window product activation
    this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on.
    do you want to activate windows now?"

then i clicked "yes"

and came up this message:

"this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can continue using it. activation over the internet is quick and easy.
    you don't need to give your name or other personal information when you activate windows.
    do you want to activate windows now?

o yes, let's activate windows over the internet now
    o yes, i want to telephone a customer service representative
    o no, log me off

microsoft is committed to your privacy. for more information, read the windows product activation privacy statement.
    to continue , click next."

but it ended up with only one option: to turn off the windows. since it was also imposible to connect to the internet with this pc.
    can anyone help me to sort this problem out, please? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: i have no idea what to do with window product activation, please help.
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »
    1. yes, let's activate windows over the internet now
    2. yes, i want to telephone a customer service representative
    3. no, log me off
    #2 is the option you will need to do, select that one and it will give you the toll-free number.  Call it and you will get to talk with a computer.  You will need to have the 25-alphanumeric Product ID ready.

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
      thanks for the fast reply. i think i have a difficulty with the second option. since the pc doesn't have any connection with the internet. is there any other option? for example reformat the os? or anything that has nothing to do with the third options on the list above? really need any help. thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
      This is NOT a laptop?
      WAIT! Do you have the original XP Install Disk? Did you get this PC from somebody else? Is it from one of the major makers, like Acer, Compaq, Gateway  HP, Intel, Packard-Bel or Sony?
      Did you recently replace a major component? Did you update the BIOS? Is the CMOS battery OK? Does it have the right time and date?
      There must have been some event to trigger the activation alert.

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:18:23 PM »
        this is a pc desktop. i don't know whether i have the original xp or not. someone installed mostly the softwares for me. and this is not a branded pc i think and doesn't represent the brands you mentioned.
        as long as i could remember i didn't replace any major component. i didn't update the bios and i think the cmos battery was just fine. i have no idea about the right time and date but i the last time i saw the time on the system tray was correct. uhm, wait, i guess it acting like that (perhaps...i am not exactly sure though) after i installed some new update antivirus and anti malwares. and i found some trojan and sality virus on the pc. but anyway, i have deleted the virus and the malware though. yes, you are right, there must have been some event to trigger the activation alert. and still i have no idea what is it. any help would be much appreciated. thanks for helping.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
        If you have a liscense key for the version of XP you are running then contact MS with the toll free 800#....
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 05:29:56 PM »
        How to activate Windows XP
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
        thanks for the fast reply. i think i have a difficulty with the second option. since the pc doesn't have any connection with the internet. is there any other option? for example reformat the os? or anything that has nothing to do with the third options on the list above? really need any help. thanks.

the second option DOES NOT USE an internet connection.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »
          If you have a liscense key for the version of XP you are running then contact MS with the toll free 800#....

i have a difficulty to make a call. i already have the key in alphabet but it required some numbers for activation like this xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx and i have no idea what kind of number is it.  ???

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:23:33 AM »
            How to activate Windows XP
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

thanks for the link. i went there and still confused what should i do.  ???

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 02:26:17 AM »
              the second option DOES NOT USE an internet connection.

sorry to tell this but i had a trouble to make a call  :(

paranoidreaction

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 02:40:58 AM »
                hello again,  sorry for the delay :)

my window is able to start up and goes into the bios. but it just has a problem to log on. and it required some number for activating. it goes like this xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. and i am just confused what kind of numeral should i fill into the box  :-\. should i reinstall my windows?
                i have got the cd but still i have no idea where do i start to install the cd from?
                should i go into the bios?? but i know nothing about bios. please any of your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks for helping.  :)

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • My first self-built computer
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 03:22:52 AM »
                it required some number for activating. it goes like this xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx. and i am just confused what kind of numeral should i fill into the box 

The number is called the 'Product Key'.  It is required in order to activate Windows. If you do not have this number, no one here can tell you any numbers to fill into the box.
                Your number is specifically intended to be used for your copy of the Windows operating system. It is not intended to be used with any other copy of the Windows operating system, nor is the Product Key for any other copy of Windows intended to be used with your copy of Windows.

You may try looking on the computer case to see if there is a small sticker which has your Product Key on it. Some computers have this, others don't

someone installed mostly the softwares for me.

If you cannot find, or do not have the Product Key for your operating system you may want to contact that someone who installed your software to see if they can give it to you.

Otherwise, as far as I know, you have 2 choices;
                You can either request a replacement product key from Microsoft or you can purchase a brand new copy of Windows.
                  :)