Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to pinpoint the problem for the computer freezing?  (Read 2006 times)

surmise

Topic Starter

Rookie
    How to pinpoint the problem for the computer freezing?
    « on: September 17, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
    My computer frequently(~every 3-4 hours) freezes and I don't know which part of hardware is causing the problem.

This happens no matter what I am doing; When I am gaming, the computer randomly freezes without any prior symptoms(no visual delay, no lag, nothing) and suddenly just freezes up(can't alt+f4 or ctrl+alt+dlt) and the game sound very rapidly repeats a short track. Even when I am surfing the web, the computer randomly locks up and won't eat any commands(mouse too, locks up) and lastly, even when I am idle(turn on the computer, take a shower/eat, come back 5-10 minutes after turning on) I come back to find the computer frozen.

I was hoping one of you had some way to pinpoint the most likely candidate for causing this problem. It seems to me like a hardware problem since I already tried format+reinstall and the same exact problem persists. I do not believe it has anything to do with overheating since the turn on-to-freeze time seems very random(occasionally it will freeze 3-4 minutes after being turned on, with no action taken; idle).

I don't know if this is related, but my graphics card(ATI Radeon HD 4550) sometimes "crashes," meaning that the screen goes pitch black for good 5 seconds, I get a warning that I have to close down the Catalyst center in order to keep working, and after that I can't perform any action(games or viewing some videos) involving the use of directX or some such(I do get to do everything else IE web surfing and word processing, etc).

Thank you in advance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How to pinpoint the problem for the computer freezing?
    « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
    Have you done some simple tests?
    Here is one you can do without even opening the case.
    Get a big fan used for cooling down people in a room.
    Put it behind the tower and let it blow over the read vent holes.
    If the computer now stays on for over half ans hour you can suppose that there is a heat problem. Maybe the graphics card.