Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Netgear router ill connections  (Read 2620 times)

Loida Ollier

Netgear router ill connections
« on: June 11, 2005, 12:55:18 PM »
Hello,
I was unable to register with Netgear in order to ask for the question below (did not recognize the serial nr of the DG814 router I gave them), so I turn to your always competent help.

I develop hereafter my case:
The computers connected to the router at the beginning:
1)      One connected to the router : 1 pc OS windows millennium
2)      One laptop connected to the local network OS windows xp
The computers connected today June 11, 2005:
1)      One connected to the router: 1 laptop OS windows xp (hereafter “C1”)
2)      One connected to the local network: 1 laptop OS windows xp (hereafter “C2”)
Since I connected C1 the Internet connection is ill functioning
The two computers cannot access the Internet at the same time. Hereafter a list of cases I have met:
1)      No connection if C1 is on with the “i” light of the router on and C2 off.
2)      If I turn off C1 and turn on C2, Internet connection is possible form C2
3)      If  I turn on C1 while C2 is connected to the Internet, the connection is lost for the two computers
4)      Sometimes if I turn off and turn on the router the two computers can connect together to the internet. If I turn off the two computers and I try to turn on one of them, the malfunctions start again.

I do not know how to solve once and for all the IP address conflict windows informs me. Sometimes the IP address of the two computers is different (when both are connected and I press “restore IP address”), sometimes the address I saw on C1 is the same than the one in computer C2 when C1 is turned off.
The options “select IP and DNS automatically” are selected on both computers. My ISP tells that the internet connection is correct.

What is your point of view?
Many thanks for your reply.
Best regards
Loida

merlin_2

Re: Netgear router ill connections
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
did you load the isp software disk.........??type ipconfig in the msdos prompt.....on winme ....if this used as the server......or winipconfig.....in winxp..........is the led light on your nic cards??have a look...also check any firewalls that you may have.....

Loida Ollier

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:37:43 AM »
Hello Merlin,
I did load the ISP software disk on the new laptop.
No NIC card as two laptops are connected to the network (a computer no longer connected to the router had a NIC card)
I disconnected the antivirus (bitdefender8) firewall. The Windows firewall is activated in both laptops. Do I have to disactivate them? And If so, can I rely on the router firewall alone to protect both computers?
Many thanks for your reply.
Best regards
Loida

Loida Ollier

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 08:00:52 AM »
Merlin,
I kept thinking about my answer above and think that the reason why the 2 laptops do not connect together to the Internet is because the PC in which I installed the Netgear FA311 (NIC card)  is no longer connected to the router to which both laptops are connected.
So please confirm that one solution could be to connect the PC tower with the Netgear FA311 card to the router again and then connect the two laptops to the router.

Best regards
Loida

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:00:18 PM »
you have answered your own question: :)

(So please confirm that one solution could be to connect the PC tower with the Netgear FA311 card to the router again and then connect the two laptops to the router.

Loida Ollier)

and use the network wizard.......to config sytem to mshome networking...
and keep your firewall on: