Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loosing Internet Connection in _some_ Programgs  (Read 2143 times)

goldend329

Loosing Internet Connection in _some_ Programgs
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:31:59 PM »
I'm running W2K.  With programs like Outlook Express, my RSS Reader, and other similar programs, after 1/2, while the programs should poll the network and get updated data, it does not maintain its connection to get the data.  However, I still have internent connectivity, as I'm able during that same period to switch to a browser, and pull a page.  Note, I do have a DLC connection.  Also, I'm sure my network is okay, because this is only present for two of my computers, and not for the other two.

merlin_2

Re: Loosing Internet Connection in _some_ Programg
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:51:11 PM »
download spysweeper......from www.webroot.com.

my guess is you are using a P2P program.......?check the events log.....control panel///admin tools......what does netstat tell you??? try pinging your own server....check firewall logs.......get sygate......

goldend329

Re: Loosing Internet Connection in _some_ Programg
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 10:43:02 AM »
 Thanks for the reply.  A few follow-up questoins before I deep dive.

On both the "working" and "non-working systems", I'm using the same p2p programs, like AudioFeast, Gloolabs, AT&TWS Office Online, etc., so please let me know why you think a P2P program will cause challenges.

Also, as troubleshooting, I turned off my firewall software, and the problem was still present so I don't think looking at the events log will help.

Also, I'm working off multiple pc's at home, and don't have a "server" as such, put I can check by pinging my own IP address, but will highly suspect I'll get a response, as at the same time, on my network, can access the "now working" PC for file shares.

Again, I appreciate your insight, just wanted to get a bit more clairification before doing what you recommended.

Warm regardars and I look forward hearing from you.

Dave