Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Case.. Compatible?  (Read 2293 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

New Case.. Compatible?
    « on: September 19, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
    Hello CH Community ;-),

I am moving my custom computer to a new case (from an NXZT that I was unable to identify to an antec 900).

I was doing some pre-purchase research, and I noticed something (actually, two somethings) that could stop me from buying the new case.

1. I am unsure whether I will be able to hookup my motherboard to the front panel inputs. On the front panel there are 2 USB, 1 firewire, 1 MIC in (Pink), and 1 Audio Out (Green) connectors, as well as a power and reset button.

I checked the manual, and it seems like I (think) can hook up the USB's, but not sure about the firewire, or two audio ports.
    Information on the audio ports can be found on page 27 of the motherboard's manual. Here is a link to the PDF version: http://america.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m57sli-s4_e.pdf.

2. The metal plate in the back of my current case has openings to allow access to every connection/port on my motherboard. Looking at some pictures of the back of the case online, it looks as if my motherboard will not match up at all with the plate they have. So, my question is, can I pop out the metal plate on the case I have now, and put it in my new case?

Here is a picture of the part in question; it is outlines in red: http://i34.tinypic.com/wboz2q.jpg

Thank you for any help with this, I would like to buy the case tonight (perfect world sentiment), but not without being 100% sure that the motherboard will fit and all the connections will be accessible, the front panel will work, and the case will work as it should.

All help would be appreciated,
    nNJZ
    (formerly Image)

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      Re: New Case.. Compatible?
      « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »
      Yes, it should pop out and fit the new case no problem.
      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • My first self-built computer
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »
      front panel there are 2 USB, 1 firewire, 1 MIC in (Pink), and 1 Audio Out (Green) connectors,
      USB's, Firewire, audio out and Mic will hook up. I don't see the wiring included with the Antec 900 case. I hope it's included. These wires were included with my XClio case.

The rear i/o plate is specific to your motherboard so yes, use the plate you have now.

Yes the ATX motherboard you have will fit the Antec 900 mid-tower ATX case fine.

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 12:51:05 PM »
        USB's, Firewire, audio out and Mic will hook up. I don't see the wiring included with the Antec 900 case. I hope it's included. These wires were included with my XClio case.

The rear i/o plate is specific to your motherboard so yes, use the plate you have now.

Yes the ATX motherboard you have will fit the Antec 900 mid-tower ATX case fine.

I had assumed so when I looked at the manual for the audio hookups.. I have no idea what all the abbreviation stand for though. Thats just something I'm going to have to deal with when I come to it.

Thank you for the confirmation. It was what I was hoping for, but was not sure. (I would have hated to find out that my assumption was incorrect after purchasing the case).

Thanks a bunch to both of you, hejlik and lectrocrew.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »
        Post a link to both the MBoard and the case without a .PDF...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Topic Starter

Beginner

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:56:27 PM »
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
          It should work fine.  Why are you moving cases anyways?

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
            It should work fine.  Why are you moving cases anyways?

I bought a custom computer, but I don't like the case. It almost looks like an alienware case, but is manufactured by NXZT.

I'm buying an antec 900 ($50) that was used for 3 weeks and is supposedly in perfect condition, with original packaging, hardware, mounts, manual, and everything else that came with it. (I have yet to confirm this, but I am not buy it until I see it with my own eyes).

Thanks for everyone's help btw. I now know that the backplates pop out, specific plates go with specific motherboards, and I need to take the plate I am using now out of my case, and put it in my new one.