Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Help Newbie with Complex Problem  (Read 2103 times)

Topic Starter

Please Help Newbie with Complex Problem
    « on: September 20, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
    Hi. This is my first question at your forum, so please forgive me if I've somehow posted it incorrectly. But, I have problems I don't know how to resolve on my own and may develop into worse problems.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501. It's running Vista 32-bit and Office 2007. I have a program called Anonymizer on it (www.anonymizer.com) and Norton Anti-Virus latest edition to come out.

Some time ago, I tried to update to IE 8 and it seemed to wreak havoc on my system. I tried to uninstall it. Made things worse. I took it to a computer repair store nearby and told them: My system often freezes when you turn the laptop on and I have to do Control + Alt+ Delete several times to get past the start-up screen. Sometimes it will start fine.

Other problems: Sometimes a gray box will pop up saying that the Semantec Framework has stopped working, or something like that (can't remember the exact words).

After taking the laptop to a local library once, the Anonymizer program stopped working completely. Their IT said it could have to do with IE8 not being supported but they couldn't say for sure.

Anyway, after I took it to their shop, they reinstalled IE8 but it can only run by clicking "Run as Administrator." The other problems....freezing at start-up, Sematec thing, are still there.

After a while, the CyberLink Power2Go program for burning CDs and DVDs stopped working. It says that no matter what I do, it cannot read any CDs or DVDs put into the tray. Meanwhile, another program I use to burn DVDs, works just fine. I tried burning CDs with Windows Media Player and it, too, does not work to burn CDs at all. When I put a CD into the tray, it doesn't seem to want to start even after I click "Rip."

Different people have told me to do different things to repair things. One guy told me to just uninstall Norton, download a freebie antivirus like AVG or Avast or SpyBot and run it, then reinstall Norton. I'm completely confused and don't know much about hardware/software installation and don't want to mess up my laptop even more than it already is.

Can anyone please help and give step-by-step instructions for us newbies?

Thank you very much.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Please Help Newbie with Complex Problem
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »
    Remove Norton and install Avast Home Edition...Free.
    Make sure to use the Norton Removal Tool...
    So there you at least got good advice.
    Get rid of CyberLink as well...another resource hog...
    CDBurnerXPro is a good Free alternative.

Also decide why you need to run Anonimyser and if you actually need it...

After this make sure to run diskclean and defrag on that drive.
    Good Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "