Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optical Drives not recognizing Disks  (Read 4065 times)

tetanya

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Optical Drives not recognizing Disks
    « on: September 20, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
    This is probably going to be a very long and complicated post, so I apologize in advance.  My problem is that my computer will not recognize that I have inserted a CD into the CD-ROM.  However, the whole problem is a bit more complicated and the only way I can explain it is to do a timeline summary of what I’ve done so far.  (sorry)  Because I know what I’m explaining is kind of confusing I’m explaining the problem in general terms and all the details about the software and the hardware are listed at the end of the post.

I was away from home for 9 weeks this summer and when I returned everything appeared to be fine on my computer.  As to be expected because it had been so long since I’d been on my computer there were a lot of Windows updates to download (27 total).  These updates were downloaded on 4 different dates, unfortunately I know I didn’t install them right away.  I’ll give the dates and specific software updates below; but I don’t know exactly when I installed any specific update.

About a week ago, my computer was working fine and was able to read my CD-ROMs.  That night when I turned off my computer Windows alerted me that I had updates to install (the kind where you shut-off your computer and Windows installs them and shuts off automatically).  I went ahead and let them install the programs and I think the screen said that there were around 14 updates. 

The next day I turned on my computer and inserted a PC Game (CD-ROM) into the computer.  I noticed right away that it didn’t startup (it is usually on AutoPlay).  I opened up My Computer and discovered that my 2 optical drives didn’t show up.  I tried inserting other CDs and nothing worked.  I went to the Device Manager and it showed that my computer still was not recognizing my CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.  I tried scanning for Hardware Changes and that didn’t work.  I looked online hoping to find a driver update for either optical drive, but came up empty. 

I finally scanned through the Microsoft Knowledge Database and came across a link to this page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060).  I was so irritated with my computer by now that rather than try and fix the problem myself I downloaded “Microsoft Fix it 50027” (it was on the above web page).  After Microsoft Fix-It ran my computer recognized my CD-ROM and my DVD-ROM and I was very happy.

My happiness did not last long.  I inserted a CD into the computer and I knew it was reading the CD because I could hear the machine working.  In addition, the little box appeared on my screen asking what I wanted to do with the CD (they give you a bunch of choices like Open an Explorer box, listen with Media Player… or take no action).  I selected take no action and then tried to open my game by clicking my desktop icon.  However, nothing happened.  I then opened up My Computer and discovered that while I could see my optical drives on the screen (the Device Manager also recognized them) but now neither drive recognized that a CD had been inserted.  When I click on the drive in My Computer it asks for me to insert a media disk.  I tried numerous CDs and DVDs and nothing worked for either drive.

I tried using a lens cleaner disk but it won’t work because neither drive even recognizes that a disk has been inserted.  What was very interesting was that a couple days later my sister came over and brought her external CD/DVD portable drive.  I connected the drive to my computer (using a USB port) and my computer recognized the drive, but it wouldn’t recognize when a disk was inserted into that drive either.  At this point I stopped looking for drivers for my optical drives because I’m assuming that the problem is not with the individual drives but with my system.  I mean what are the chances that 3 separate drives (from 3 different companies) all simultaneously stopped working?

The only thing that had changed between my computer working and not working was the software updates.  So I went to my download history and uninstalled all of the downloads from September 9th on (the day I returned home).  There were a few updates which my system won’t let me uninstall and I left those alone.  There were 7 programs I didn’t uninstall and they are listed at the bottom of the post.  Unfortunately, uninstalling all of those updates didn’t affect my drives at all.  All 3 still don’t recognize if I insert a disk. 

I checked what programs are initiated when I startup my computer, but all of them checked out as being legitimate.  Throughout this entire process I have also done numerous security scans of my computer.  When the software I had found nothing I downloaded and installed other software and they also found nothing.  I also attempted to do a system restore.  I don’t really understand what that is but I was getting desperate.  However when I attempted to do so my computer said it couldn’t because no changes had been made since my last “restore point”.

I would appreciate any help.  And thank you for taking the time to actually read this confusing mess.

Again here is a brief list of what I have already tried:
    --searched for updated drivers
    --scanning for hardware changes in the Device Manager
    --uninstalled all drives through Device Manager and reinstalling them
    --full system scans with Norton 360, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Avast!
    --attempted a system restore
    --downloaded Microsoft Fix-It 50027 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)
    --uninstalled most of the Windows updates

CD/DVD Hardware Information:
    --Samsung CD-R/RW SW-240B
    --CD-ROM driver: provided by Microsoft (7/1/2001), ver 5.1.2535.0
    --Liteon DVD-ROM LTD 163
    --DVD-ROM driver: provided by Microsoft (7/1/2001), ver 5.1.2535.0

My Computer System:
    --Dell Dimension 4500 desktop computer
    --all my Windows software is “real”
    --Microsoft Windows XP Professional, service pack 3
    --Microsoft Office 2003 (full suite) & Microsoft OneNote 2007
    --Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00GHz (speed = 1.95GHz)
    --1.00 GB of RAM
    --NVIDIA GeForce 6200 A-LE
    --Norton 360

Windows Updates (in chronological order, first being the earliest download):
    --Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB972688)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB960859)
    --Security Update for Microsoft Office Web Components (KB947319)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB971657)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB971557)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB956744)
    --Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB973869)
    --Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB972260)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB973507)
    --Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB970363)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB973354)
    --Security Update for Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB973540)
    --Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2009 (KB890830)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB973815)
    --Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB973923)
    --Update for Windows XP (KB970653)
    --Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
    --Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2009 (KB890830)
    --Security Update for Windows Media Format Runtime 9, 9.5 & 11 for Windows XP SP 3 (KB968816)
    --Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB973515)
    --Security Update for Windows XP (KB956844)
    --Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB974331)
    --Security Update for Jscript 5.8 for Windows XP (KB971961)
    --Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810)
    --Update for Windows XP (KB968389)
    --The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)

All of the above downloads were uninstalled EXCEPT for these 7:
    --Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – August 2009 (KB890830) = I couldn’t find this download on my system
    --Security Update for Microsoft Offive Web Components (KB947319) = won’t let me uninstall
    --Internet Explore for Windows XP = I can uninstall this but I know that I installed this after my problem began
    --Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool – September 2009 (KB890830) = couldn’t find
    --The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) = won’t let me uninstall
    --Office Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB949810) = couldn’t find
    --Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB974331) = won’t let me uninstall

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Optical Drives not recognizing Disks
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »

Hello,
    your frustration is understandable.  There are many people here will qualified to help you out.  I will try to just offer a few suggestions that occurred to me.  For one thing, you are using two optical drives.  You may find you had better results by using just one dries.  Also, you are using Windows XP with service pack 3.  But she did not explain is the this came from the manufacturer asked XP 3 or if you had upgraded from XP  service pack 2.  That could make a difference.
    The most critical issue is you use four  different anti virus programs. Did you use them all at once?  Or, did you install than one of at a time and use in each one at a time.
    One more issue, and this may be the most critical, does  B IOS recognize either or both of the optical drives.
    Pardon me if there's some bad spelling errors or grammatical errors, I have a hard time typing. This was speech dictation.

tetanya

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
      Hello and thanks you for your reply.

I didn't know that having two optical drives could be a problem, but in reality I only use the CD-ROM/RW, I hardly ever use the DVD.  My Windows XP software was upgraded to Service Pack 3 (I had to download it, it didn't come with the computer).  I did not use all of the anti-virus software all at once.  Before the problem began I had only Norton 360 and Spybot on my computer.  I did both of those scan separately.  However, I did download Avast and Ad-Aware after the problems began and  than I ran them (separately), but Spybot and Norton were still installed on my system.  Since than I have uninstalled Avast and Ad-Aware.

I'm afraid that my ignorance is showing... BIOS?  I've heard that term before but have no idea how to check it.  I do know that I can see the drives when I open up My Computer and that the Device Manager recognizes each optical drive (when you hit properties, each drive says that it is working correctly).   Thank you for your help, but can you tell me how to check if BIOS recognizes my drives? :)

Thanks,
      Breeann

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
      If the device manager says you have two drives, then the drives would be also in the BIOS. So ignore what I said about the BIOS
      Here is the most critical issue:

Before the problem began I had only
      Norton 360 and Spybot on my computer. 

The instruction given by Microsoft in effect state that:
      1. You must have a full backup before doing SP3.
      2. You must remove your Anit Virtus  and other such programs.
           Especially any programs from Norton
      3. The installation of SP3 should be done in Safe mode.

The above is my paraphrase. If y you go through all the stuff in the KB it says, more or less,  that SP3 can do almost any kind of damage to your system. Norton will create a fault that is near impossible to fix.

You can Google "SP3 problems" and find hundreds of reports about SP3 issues. Some users have been able to un do the damage.  Others just start over and reinstall everything and restore data from the backups they made earlier.

Perhaps others here have some better ideas. The best I can recommend is that you re-install Windows XP and then install SP3 without any AV programs active.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
        tetanya, I recently had a very similar problem and recieved the assistance of forum member "Broni" which solved my problem.Below is the link and the solution that solved it for me.good luck,truenorth

Topic Starter
        Adviser

Experience: Familiar

Re: Optical drives
        « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 10:15:21 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        YAHOO! Thank you Broni. Back in business. I looked at the "Try here" 1st recommendation 1st.Saw what could be some dire consequences if things went wrong so then went and had a look at  2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060. Opted to try the "let me fix it " option. That fixed it. However noting the caution that some audio player software could be adversely effected by the "fix it" program i was not dismayed that my default player "Musicmatch version 9 " no longer worked properly. That certainly can easily be remedied.
        If you don't mind i am going to post your complete reply to me on another post that i was trying to help another user with a similar problem recently. To the best of my knowledge their problem remains unsolved. I shall give the credit where it belongs (to you).Thanks again and thank you too patio for giving my issue your attention. truenorth