Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen of death (random times)  (Read 2447 times)

Ecardius

Blue Screen of death (random times)
« on: September 20, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »
Hello everyone. 

I come to you in search of a solution for my friends seemingly hopeless desktop!  I built this computer for him about 5 years ago and for its time it was a good computer but It looks a bit gone.  Anyway here is the scoop.

He gave it to me because it supposedly would randomly reboot.  I ran the usual tests for nasty viruses and spy ware with various programs but nothing was discovered.  So I gathered all of his data for him and went ahead to do a fresh format.  Now during the reinstall of Windows I get the Blue Screen Of Death at random moments.  Since I cannot screen capture what it said I copied the important part down.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP: 0x00000050(0xAFC66008,0x00000000,0x80552970,0x000000000

This computer is
1GB DDR2 RAM
ASUS P5L-MX Motherboard
Windows XP Home Edition
Radeon X800 Graphics Card
Pentium 4 Processor

There has been no hardware modifications to this computer either but I am beginning to think this problem is the cause of the untimely demise of some part inside the computer...If you need anymore information on my end just ask.  I appreciate your time!

EEVIAC

Re: Blue Screen of death (random times)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
First check to see if the computer is dust free on the inside, re-seat cables, and make sure fans are spinning while the computer is on. 

If that is all good, then your problem may be due to a bad ram module. First try re-seating your ram and if it doesn't work, try running the computer with only one ram module installed at a time, in the slot closest to the processor...

If you only have one ram module installed, download and run "memtest86" and run the test for a couple of hours to see if any errors come up. 

It could also be be due to your graphics card, if you have onboard video, try plugging the monitor into the onboard connector instead...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:32:39 PM by EEVIAC »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Blue Screen of death (random times)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:41:03 AM »
From Microsoft Technet:

Stop Error 0x00000050
Stop error number:(0x00000050)
Descriptive text:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Usual cause:Memory error (data cannot be swapped out to disk using the
paging file).

To troubleshoot Stop error 0x00000050
1.Remove any newly installed hardware (RAM, adapters, hard disks, modems, and so on).
2.Run any system diagnostics supplied by your computer manufacturer, especially the memory check.
3.Verify that any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, contact your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows 2000 updates or drivers you might need.
4.If the computer is formatted with NTFS, restart your computer, and then run Chkdsk /r on the system partition. If you cannot start the system due to the error, use the Command Console and run Chkdsk /r.
5.Disable or uninstall any antivirus programs.
6.Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.