Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is linux safe from trojan?  (Read 9584 times)

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • ThomasTheXPUser
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Is linux safe from trojan?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Just read the posts on this  forum to see how dumb Windows users are compared with Linux users. Not including the "I downloaded Obunto and now I can't find My Documents" type people.

Not true. I know some windows users who are smart, and linux users who are dumb. lol. A person who is experienced and great at windows and is used to windows will not always know what to do in linux, and vice versa

common experience. Trust me, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the operating system, it's simply what happens. Beginners start somewhere. they buy a computer. what's on the computer? Windows.

I Don't need "facts and figures" when basic deductive reasoning can infer that since a higher percentage of beginners end up using windows that a higher percentage of these beginners will be the type with no initiative- that is- they are simply interested in doing their job and getting out, they don't want to learn the caveats of some right-click menu or how triple-clicking on a paragraph in word selected the entire paragraph- they learn the basic operating instructions and use them to a T.

While some beginners choose to use Linux, it is almost always by choice- and in nearly every case, even the greenest novice has the initiative to learn more then the basics; again, not necessarily a reflection on the operating system itself but rather a result of the uneven user demographic between the two. If somebody doesn't choose an OS or doesn't even know what one is- they get windows. If somebody wants Linux they probably know what an Operating System is which is more then we can say for a good percentage of the windows user base, where we even have people in the highest levels of academia saying that the registry "interacts" with other parts of windows, which is the most incorrect thing that can be said. The registry is data, it is manipulated by running processes, not the other way around. This sort of backwards and incorrect terminology only seems to pervade the world of windows, because users will master the right-click drag and suddenly call themselves and expert, and start parroting off random nothings that are likely just quotes right out of some technical magazine whose "technical" advice borders on the insane. This is why we have so many myths about windows, such as registry cleaners and the proper size of the pagefile- how many Windows users even understand Ring 0 versus Ring 3? Not a lot. over Half of all Linux users DO understand and those that don't have the appropriate mindset and the initiative to learn.

It's not a question of user stupidity- if that's the case, we were all born stupid, but we all know that's not the case. Just because, for example, somebody hasn't had the concept of a file system or a file or a folder or the heirarchal file system click in their head doesn't make them stupid- Intelligence is the potential to learn, not the ability to morass vast stores of useless and trivial information. Many windows users that I class as uninitiated simply haven't considered that the PC is something that, with proper study, could make their jobs easier- rather then, for example, rushing through the copying of 50 templates and customizing each Dear <username> section, they could learn how to properly do a mail merge and save themselves time. Their devotion of less time to learning how to properly do a task is not a reflection on their intelligence but rather a reflection on their motivation to learn about it.

spot on

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

robin1232

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »
    Just read the posts on this <censored> forum to see how dumb Windows users are compared with Linux users. Not including the "I downloaded Obunto and now I can't find My Documents" type people.

ow, you gotta agree linux isn't really user friendly

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
    Just read the posts on this *censored* forum to see how dumb Windows users are compared with Linux users. Not including the "I downloaded Obunto and now I can't find My Documents" type people.

ow, you gotta agree linux isn't really user friendly

Yeah, I mean seriously, any semi-intelligent person who understands the basics and how two completely different operating systems that work by two completely different initiatives and are written to follow completely different UI guidelines KNOWS that they will both use the exact same interface widgets and name everything exactly the same. I've heard people say "the difference between a PC and a mac is a PC has a start button and the mac has a little apple" which is the most over-broadened and narrow-minded (ha, I love the stark contrast in metaphor there...) generalization that could ever be formulated. It's like saying the difference between a cow and a dog is a cow has spots.Now I won't go into a detailed comparison of the various physiological factors that could also be used to determine wether an animal is indeed a cow or a dog, since if I did I would evidently bore you with the obvious differences (you know, the whole bovine != canine thing, which has been preventing scientists from making the fabled half cattle half dog "doggle" which in fact herds itself... but I believe my point is clear- a PC is by no means a computer with a "start" button in the corner, as there are a number of operating systems available for a PC, including, now, the Mac OS (in some cases) and of course a number of Linux variants, (none of which have a "my documents" folder, unfortunately, leading to much chagrin on the sampling of the population that Salmon Trout has so helpfully provided a summary of). Even so, while these people commit to the very concept of a User Interface, many of them are lost in the very metaphor it represents. "I save by clicking on the little TV icon" (as the person points to the FLOPPY DISK icon) the common defense is that people often don't see floppy disks. Of course, I  imagine that little icon shown next to '3-1/4 Floppy' in My computer that looks exactly like the "TV" doesn't ring a bell (an alternate theory is that many men see the caption and believe the computer to be psychic and hide behind the couch). I believe the real thing is that people no longer realize that the entire concept if a User interface, at least in the sense of windows or the mac OS, thrives on metaphor. Without meaning- an icon is just a useless jumble of pictures. a Television set by no means portrays the concept of "saving", except obviously in the minds of kids who grew up spending over 20% of their waking hours staring at a Playstation game's "saving" screen because the *censored* thing takes over five minutes to save, but I mean, seriously, would MS design a icon using such a small demographic? no, they use a proper concept such as a floppy disk.

of course, due to the fear this instills as expressed earlier, perhaps it is best to "hide" the floopy disk icon to prevent further hyper-ventilation on the part of men with low self-esteem. The new metaphor has been to show a little folder with an arrow pointing into it, which works great except it looks like almost all the other bloody icons, with little folder icons with some little gremlin image over to the left, god knows people won't see a little arrow pointing into a folder, and we'll soon have our ears assaulting by people saying that they clicked in the little icon with ears or how they used the pitchfork icon or some other visage that bears vague semblance to the intended image.

ahh, that feels better.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.