Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trouble connecting to internet via certain programs  (Read 2330 times)

Tairach

Topic Starter

trouble connecting to internet via certain programs
    « on: September 24, 2009, 02:38:14 AM »
    Hi,
    I’ve starting having trouble connecting to the internet with certain programs in the past few days. My normal internet connection works fine - browsers, downloading, updating programs such as antivirus or spyware programs and other basic stuff. But when it comes to programs such as torrents, Battle.net or some of my instant messaging programs (icq, qip, miranda...), I always get the same error after waiting dozens of seconds to connect: "unable to establish connection; timed out" etc. I don’t get it! Why is my browser (be it Mozilla, Opera or IE) working perfectly, but I can’t seem to connect to the internet through other means? Am I missing something? It really came out of the blue. One day everything worked and now it doesn’t. I’ve tried searching for viruses and spyware and malware and that sort of stuff, but my computer seems to be clean and runs perfectly apart from the connection problem. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Thank you for any help you can give me.  ;) :)

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: trouble connecting to internet via certain programs
      « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »
      If u have a firewall, check yr setting.

Tairach

Topic Starter

Re: trouble connecting to internet via certain programs
        « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
        If u have a firewall, check yr setting.
        I tried turning it on and off again, adding exceptions, but nothing worked. No change. Although, I solved the instant messaging problem. It turned out that my assigned ports for logging in simply stopped working (God knows why), so all I had to do was change them.