Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comp god, plz read, lightning killed laptop  (Read 3285 times)

ksdestin

Comp god, plz read, lightning killed laptop
« on: June 12, 2005, 09:51:21 AM »
Like an idiot, I plugged my laptop into an unprotected power outlet.  Stupid!, I know.  of course,  sudden lightning storm, power failure, now laptop is a paper weight.  Is there any salvaging it.  Can parts be replaced.  Or should I just start looking for a new one?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 10:12:37 AM by ksdestin »

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
    Re: lightning killed laptop
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 10:18:03 AM »
    Lightning will fry up every electrical device in your PC. Nothing useful can be salvaged. It's best to look for a new computer.

These things happen. Even if it wasn't just plugged directly to the wall, no surge suppressor can protect againist a bolt of lightning hit directly. The safest thing in a storm is just to have your laptop unplugged.

[glb]Gizmo73[/glb]

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Comp god, plz read, lightning killed laptop
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 10:20:22 AM »
    I agree. Most if not all parts are now damaged... It depends on the strength of the lightning strike... Also, having one or two parts salvaged will not help you much... You would end-up replacing most of the parts anyay. Looking for a new one would be a good idea...

[glb]Flame[/glb]
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 10:20:43 AM by flame »

ksdestin

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 10:22:36 AM »
    Thanks, you confirmed my suspicions.  Any suggestions for a lightweight laptop.  I don't play games, just the usual work and research type stuff.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 10:25:48 AM »
    Well, it depends on how much you want to spend, but the Dell Inspiron 700M is VERY small...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »
    I suggest that you check to see if the LCD screen is still functional. There seems to be quite a demand for these, people look for them to replace their own damaged LCD screens.

Also test the Hard Disk Drive to see if it is still functioning and capable of storing data.

The RAM can be easily removed and tested as well, but given the fact that RAM is very sensitive I doubt that the results will be positive.