Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Vista cheating?!??!?!  (Read 3797 times)

Dairyman

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Is Vista cheating?!??!?!
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:08:30 AM »
Solved on 26 September 2009.

Hi all.

This isn't really an important question but...

I'd like to know WHY, out of five completed games of Chess Titans, I have not won a single one of these games, even when the game appears to end with the computer's king in checkmate.

The picture I have attached shows what I mean. The computer's king can't move without been captured. If he goes to the right, my queen will capture him. If he goes to the left, the rook get's him. If he moves up, again, the queen gets him. And yet it still counts it as a stalemate/draw.

Cheating/glitch? Or am I mistaken? This has happened quite a few times.

EDIT:
Image removed as topic is solved. Turns out it really was a stalemate. Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:07:23 AM by Dairyman »

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Is Vista cheating?!??!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:14:16 AM »
Did the computer have any more peaces? If it has no other peaces then it can't make a move and that is a stalemate.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:14:45 AM »
Stalemate is a situation in chess where the player whose turn it is to move is not in check but has no legal moves. A stalemate ends the game in a draw. Stalemate is covered in the rules of chess.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalemate

Checkmate (frequently shortened to mate) is a situation in chess (and in other boardgames of the chaturanga family) in which one player's king is threatened with capture (in check) and there is no way to meet that threat. Or, simply put, the king is under direct attack and cannot avoid being captured. Delivering checkmate is the ultimate goal in chess: a player who is checkmated loses the game (the king is never actually captured – the game ends as soon as the king is checkmated because checkmate leaves the defensive player with no legal moves). In practice, most players resign an inevitably lost game before being checkmated.

If a king is under attack but the threat can be met, then the king is said to be in check, but is not in checkmate. If a player is not in check but has no legal move (that is, every possible move would put the king in check), the result of the game is stalemate, and the game ends in a draw (but in other variants, it is a loss for the stalemated player). (See rules of chess.)

I do believe, old son, that in true Microsoft tradition, the game is yankin' your chain!   ;D

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:21:20 AM »
What Aegis said.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:42:50 AM »
umm... that is a stalemate...

they aren't in check... and there are no legal moves.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:37:44 AM »
Rats!  My feeble brain had Microsoft right where I wanted them!   ;D

It is stalemate because, on review, no black piece has the king in "check."  I thought the queen did, but I was wrong.  Since white cannot move anywhere that will not put him in "check," he stands at stalemate.

Checkmate would occur if the king currently stood in "check" by a piece, and could not work its way out of the situation by a move, a block by another piece, or a sacrifice by another piece.

::: walks away mumbling ::: Doggone BC Programmer and his intellect...must be that Horton's food...

;D

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Dairyman

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »
Did the computer have any more peaces? If it has no other peaces then it can't make a move and that is a stalemate.

Ah ha. Thanks!

Finally won today! (3 Queens  :P ;D)

[attachment deleted by admin]