Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could I have a VIRUS???????  (Read 2728 times)

rejoicing1

Could I have a VIRUS???????
« on: June 12, 2005, 11:37:34 AM »
Ok, I have been trying to reformat, and install WIN98 on several old harddrives. Yesterday I was successful in doing this on one of the harddrives. I removed it and put in the second hard drive. When I went to format it said " no fixed disk present". I put the good harddrive back in, rebooted it and it worked fine. Took it back out yet, again and tried reformatting the second harddrive. Checked jumper settings, BIOS for automatic, you name it, and it still did not work. Finally gave up and put in the " successfully  formatted" hard drive and now IT WON'T WORk.

When booting it shows the " Primary  master"LBA,UDMA2,6449MB and the Primary slave :CDROM,mode3........Secondary master:none, Secondary slave:None......floopy 3 mode fail(40)........when I press F1 to continue , the trend chip away virus on guard, shows " now detectin boot sector type virus"........does that mean that it HAS detected a virus or is just looking for one??

Also the Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability is " disabled"..........
Any suggestions???

Raptor

Re: Could I have a VIRUS???????
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:18:30 PM »
Set an option called Virus warning to Disabled in the BIOS.

It may be called Trend Chip away Virus.

If you have properly formatted the entire Hard Disk Drive and you have installed Windows 98 but not connected to the Internet, there is very little risk of infection.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 12:21:49 PM by Raptor »

rejoicing1

Re: Could I have a VIRUS???????
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:29:49 PM »
Set an option called Virus warning to Disabled in the BIOS.

It may be called Trend Chip away Virus.

If you have properly formatted the entire Hard Disk Drive and you have installed Windows 98 but not connected to the Internet, there is very little risk of infection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you. I will give this a try.