Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard dying?  (Read 8657 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Motherboard dying?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
What's more troubling... I just checked it again in Windows setup... still shows the same thing.

Ok, so I rebooted without the Windows disc.... and we're back to Windows attempting to load but with the BSOD and reboot like before, which is the weirdest thing considering Windows setup sees it partitioned and empty hahaha.

Loading back into the RC now. I'll see what happens with chkdsk /r. Post back shortly.

-=EDIT=-
By the way, at this point the DVD is in the USB enclosure.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »
Best of Luck...i'll be here a bit longer.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
50% completed.

Yes, it popped up "CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery..." 3 times in a row instantly just like I've posted. Also, while working up to 100%, it got to 75% then dropped down to 50% again and sat there for about 5 minutes before finally going up to 51%, then sat there for a few minutes and went up to 52%. Looks like this is gonna take a while. I'll post back when it completes (gonna be 1 hour+ at this rate).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »
Yepper...
If it's re-setting there are definitely issues there...
Let 'er rip i say.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
Definitely going to take a while. 54% now. Cut-out issue seems to be solved for now. I'll see what I can scrounge up at the shop tomorrow for a test power supply.

Thanks for you help so far Patio. Almost midnight. I'm going to bed now, gonna leave this thing running until morning. I'll post before I head out with any changes.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »
Anytime Quaxo....
But you're makin breakfast in the morning... 8)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
Waited a bit longer for it to finish last night. Got to 70-something% and reset to 50% again. I left it on all night and by this morning it had completed. The only additional message was "CHKDSK has found and fixed errors on this drive."

Rebooted, it proceeded to load Windows, but it took a really long time (more than 5 minutes+ compared to the usual less than 1 minute boot time). When it finally reached the desktop, a dialog box popped up saying: "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by one of a log or alternate copy." Anyway, it boots again now and seems to work fine so far, but I didn't get to mess with it much this morning and I'm at the shop now. That Raidmax Ninja case is huge and I couldn't be bothered to drag it into the shop this morning on the bus.

Anyway, when I get home tonight, I'll start putting everything else back in and see if the problem persists. If it was solely an issue with the hard drive, I'd say problem solved, but with the CD drive disappearing as well, I'm still not sure if it's the motherboard or power supply. Anyway, guess I'll find out tonight when I start connecting other things again.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »
I haven't put everything back together yet. It's still working fine, but it took 3 minutes to load instead of the usual less than 1 minute. I don't have time to reassemble it right now, I've got to write a 30 page English course book tonight so I'm gonna be really busy. I'll pick this up again tomorrow.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
The first few times it'll start a bit slow but it should get progressivily quicker...

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 05:11:29 AM »
Just the opposite it seems. Progressively slower. This time it took 8 minutes, and on top of that it asked me to reactivate Windows due to a significant hardware change, although nothing has changed in the last 48 hours and I've turned it on several times without getting that message.

Anyway, reactivated without a problem. Here in the next hour or so I'll get the CD drive, SATA drive, and case fans hooked up again and see what happens. I'll post back when that's done.

On a side note, trouble does seem to come in threes: desktop computer trouble, then my telephone line went dead for 2 days which they just fixed, and now my laptop seems to be having issues. I haven't sorted out what's up with the laptop yet, just started a couple of hours ago. Gonna get scans going on both systems to make sure they haven't caught something from the company I'm doing work for this week.

neelchauhan

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 07:35:41 AM »
Can a IDE controller card work?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »
Can a IDE controller card work?

Sure, it can.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 08:55:01 AM »
This might be worse than I thought. I've just reconnected my speakers... my sound card isn't working. I've also noticed the Creative software that runs the sound card isn't loading at startup either.

Think I'll scan the drive and see if there's a problem with it.

-=EDIT=-

Scratch that. Forgot to disable the on-board again when the BIOS reset. Windows chose it over the X-Fi card.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »
I haven't put this thing back together yet. It's still running really slow pretty much all the time. Booting takes 10 minutes, and anything else I do on it takes twice as long as usual. Think I might just format and reinstall Windows and see if it improves. I need to contact Kaspersky first and ask them how to reactivate my license once I do.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
considering the registry had to be recovered missing drivers and startup programs aren't unexpected.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.