Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old WD HD - Need files ASAP - Took ownership but Folders not visible  (Read 2974 times)

Kitzep

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi all :), very useful site!

I have an older (~2006 I think) Western Digital SATA hard drive WD2000JD-22HBB0 formatted as NTSF that came from a Gateway running XP Home where the MOBO died.    I have pictures and some other things backed up BUT not some recent files that are really needed ASAP (of course  :P).  I have placed this HD in a external Rosewill USB enclosure and also internally in my eMachines 6250 running XP Media Center.

In either case I can see many and various files and folders for example "L:\Documents and Settings\All Users" but I can't find the subfolders I need.  There is 2.3 gB of data in that All Users folder by properties, but the few items that are visible in All Users (Desktop, Favorites, Shared Documents, Start Menu and the NTUSER.DAT file) take up about 74 mB when I actually add them up so the info seems there just inaccessible.

I have taken ownership via the Security tab as found via various Googles that others have suggested, and I also made sure to Show Hidden files and Folders and nothing changed, not sure what else to try.

Thanks much for any suggestions!  I do not want to take this to someone else for recovery of just a few files... :(

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kitzep

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Old WD HD - Need files ASAP - Took ownership but Folders not visible
      « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
      Thanks patio!  Yep, that's it.  I have done that a few times now.  And I just did it again, though it did seem quicker this time...

There are 3 accounts on this drive.  Administrator, All Users, and one with my wife's name.  All Users is the one that should have the files.   The current owner of All Users is the account I am currently in.

There are  some other links at the link I did not search or post in yet, like WinXP Newsgroup - will investigate  8) there as well.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »
      You may need to do it one folder at a time...depending on how the Admin rights were initially setup...

Kitzep

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »
        Thanks! :)   I have tried it for Documents and Settings, and next level All Users, and now just tried the Shared Folders below that one, but still not seeing the invisible folders etc.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »
        Show hidden files and folders checked ? ?

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
        Let me make sure I understand. It's not a matter of not having access to the folders, you just can't see them - is that correct?

Kitzep

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
          Yep.  I have Show Hidden checked.

And, that is correct - they are not visible, though based on how much space is taken up in the upper level folder, they should be in there.

A question - do I need to restart every time I make a modification to ownership or permissions?  I have been restarting at all changes, but it takes time to do that...

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »
          No, ownership changes are instantaneous. If you can't see the folders I question their existence. See if treesize personal helps (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_personal/).

And ownership permissions have nothing to do with the ability to see folders - only to access them.

Kitzep

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »
            Well, I don't usually use this term but  :o ZOMG!!!  Thank's so much, Treesize showed me exactly what was up!  You were right, those folders did not exist where I thought they did...    I am clearly such a noob  :P but you both have been SO helpful  ;D!   I was looking too far down in the tree based on earlier looks when I had not checked Show Hidden.

It was in Owner (which was hidden for some reason) M:\Documents and Settings\Owner
            I had been looking in a few other folders especially Users (which were not hidden) - eg, M:\Documents and Settings\All Users

Kind of embarrassing  ;D but, again, thanks so much!  You peeps 8) are generating much good kharma!  Much thanks for your time!

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »
            You're very welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.