Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using compressed air on overheating laptop  (Read 2617 times)

GelatinGhost

Topic Starter

Rookie

Using compressed air on overheating laptop
    « on: September 28, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
    My 1-year old vostro 1000 is beginning to show symptoms of overheating (shutting down randomly, and speedfan shows high temps), and so I'm going to give it a good dusting. My question is: how exactly should I go about this? I'm not sure exactly which vent I should be blowing into... I'm pretty sure the intake vent is on the left side (it is labeled in the user manual as air vent), and it seems the air exits in the rear (but this one is not labeled in the user manual). Then there is the grid of holes on the bottom below the fan... which is which, and which one should I blow into? Also, would it be a good idea to put a paperclip through one of the bottom holes in order to prevent the fan from overspinning? (assuming I should not blow through the bottom)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Using compressed air on overheating laptop
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:51:51 PM »
    Is this yours?

Generally, laptops don't accumulate much dust.  You should be able to figure out which is the intake and which is the exhaust.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
    Ok let me give you a different angle as I have become an expert in laptop cleaning recently.
    It depends on how comfortable you are pulling apart your laptop. I was very nervous now I do it once a month.. and clean out the fins.
    If you would like one to one advice no problem trust me it's easier than you think. I will happily take you step by step through it.. Just let me know on PM  ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
    Generally, laptops don't accumulate much dust.

The ones i've opened certainly do...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
    I agree mine looked like a hoover bag when I first did it and that was causing it to overheat. Now it works great but as I said because I keep on top of the cleaning.

GelatinGhost

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
      Well, would you recommend first trying to get the dust out without taking it apart, and see if that brings the temp down? And yes, the picture is of my laptop, and I assume (just trying to validate) the exhaust is on the right on the rear, and that I should aim the compressed air through there?

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
      Well, would you recommend first trying to get the dust out without taking it apart, and see if that brings the temp down? And yes, the picture is of my laptop, and I assume (just trying to validate) the exhaust is on the right on the rear, and that I should aim the compressed air through there?

Unfortuanetly your fan will have backed up a load of dust and cotton etc. Your fan will no longer be able to cool your system
      I can help as I've said...