Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: background Internet activity  (Read 9229 times)

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

background Internet activity
    « on: September 29, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
    How can I identify what program is downloading or interacting on the Internet, in the background [i.e. without my desire to do so]. Task manager does not seem to tell me OR I do not know what to look for.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: background Internet activity
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »
    Let's start at the top, shall we? First, what makes you think anything is accessing the internet? Second, what apps do you have open? Third, open task manager to the processes tab, sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top (double click on the title "CPU") and let us know if anything is using the processor. After you provide a little more info we can go from there.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
      Thanks for reply.

While logged on to Internet, Task manager,networking, indicates that something is being up and downloaded yet the applications tab does not identify what

I have looked at the cpu usage and have seen that on some processes it changes but I usually cannot identify which program is associated.

While this is happening, I cannot do any other work on the Internet - whole bandwidth is used [it seems].

Oh, I should mention that I live in the boonies and so am working thru a modem in 200 kpbs range

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »
      Okay, I still don't understand. What do you mean that task manager, networking indicates something is being up and downloaded? How do they indicate that?

And I don't understand why you can't see what process is using the cpu if you did what I told you to and sorted on the cpu column.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
        I need to add that I believe the problem to either be a sneaky virus which is using me as a zombie or one of my programs that is set to download automatically [w/o asking me or telling me -- Adobe has done this to me a couple of times but has eventually told me about it]

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »
        Okay. Paranoia aside HOW DO YOU KNOW something is using the internet? You still haven't explained that.

And feel free to run full scans with BOTH your AV utility AND either MalwareBytes or Super AntiSpyware

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »

On my task manager, under networking, I can see a graph of activity [downolding stuff to my PC].
          I can see what process is using  the cpu but I cannot identify/recognize any of my known programs [software] with the process.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »
            AVG antivirus gives my PC a clean bill of health.

The activity at times goes on for 10, 15, 20+ minutes at times and will not let me download anything that I choose.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
            Well what process is it?
            And how do you know something is being uploaded or downloaded? That graph simply shows activity (such as an email program checking for email, or web pages reloading, etc).

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:43 PM »
            And what about MalwareBytes or Super AntiSpyware?

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »
              I do not have the problem at this time so I cannot identify a process for you.

I do believe that there is an upload/download activity because I cannot do anything else on the Internet [or it slows to less than a crawl] for minutes on end. When the task manager indicates little or no graph activity, then I can work on the Internet. This is more than just checking for possible email.

I have not done anything about MalwareBytes or AntiSpyware. They are not on my PC [or do they need to be?]

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
              Yes - download of them and run it. Also Download Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel - we'll use it later.

Check Scheduled Tasks - is there anything there?

And after you scan with MalwareBytes we'll talk about trying a clean boot to see what happens.

Mulreay

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 03:56:07 PM »
              Ok let me make this easier to understand.
              Your router is in constant communication with your computer and the server. It WILL keep flashing and look like activity. There is no dodgy activity as long as you have a proper WPA key password. The router needs to keep in constant contact with the server so it may look like activity but it's not.
              This is nothing to worry about it's not a virus or malware. The uploading and downloading is just usual traffic.
              If you have run full system scans and there are no trojans etc, and you have a password WPA in place you have nothing to worry about.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »
                I have and am downloading the recommended software.

Other than Task Manager, is there some other software which will show me what program [including Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc.] are accessing the Internet

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
                I'm going to log off soon, so let me tell you what I suggest you do after the MalwareBytes scan.

Using Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, uncheck all startup items and reboot. Do you still see something accessing the internet (and again, that's all it is I'm sure - I sincerely doubt anything is being uploaded or downloaded)? If not, it's one of the items you unchecked that is making the connection. You can start adding them back one or two at a time, rebooting after each, until you see the activity recur and you'll know which one it is.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »
                  I do understand that the router is in constant communication - flashing. On the Task Manager they show up as identifiable single, regular blips on the graph under networking.

What I am talking about are stretches of many minutes on end where there is obvious, lengthy downloading/uploading going on. On Task Manager this shows up as continuous jags on the graph. When this activity is not ongoing, then there are regular, single blips on the graph indicating the PC is checking for new mail or whatever - flashing.

My point is that when there is the lengthy activity I mentioned above, the modem is obviously busy doing something other than micro-second checks. In this state, my modem or if you wish, the Internet will not process any requests I make for it to do anything - it is very busy - not just microsecond flashing

Mulreay

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »
                  And how is your WPA password protection?

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »
                    Mulreay you ask And how is your WPA password protection?"  I do not know. How do I find out?

I am almost certain that the activity that I am referring to is from a program on my PC, not anything worse BUT, when it happens, I would like to know which program is doing this and then slap it! I have probably allowed some of my software to automatically access the Internet to update itself. This I want to stop.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
                      Surely, there must be software out there that will tell me when something in my PC [other than I] calls home, for any reason, and will identify this software. This is what I am looking for.

Mulreay

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
                      Ok you need to check your firewall and adjust your settings for programmes allowed to access the internet.
                      If you need help with that please tell me which system you are using (firewall) and i will endeavour to help  ;)

stivo79

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
                        i seem to be having a similar problem.  when i open internet explorer, instantly under processes it shows 2 iexplore.exe's.  then it just multiplies the more i use the net.  and even when i've closed internet explorer,  there's still like 10 iexplore.exe.  and even keeps popping up this balloon that says this tab has been restored, still with no explorer open.  anti virus is up to date and picks up nothing.  in other words how do i make it so i don't have to go through and end the process trees? :'(

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        • Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
                        stivo you need to start your own Topic...
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "