Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internal hard drive no longer being recognized  (Read 5828 times)

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
    Re: Internal hard drive no longer being recognized
    « Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
    3.  Only?  Isn't that  enough?  It's analogous to your neck being broken, but the brain still functions?

If the brain still works then I would be able to get that brain and put in someone else, right? (put it on a different hard drive)
    Computer Specs
    Motherboard - Nforce 780i xfx CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600  Hard drive - 120GB RAM - Geil DDR2 2GBx2 BLACK DRAGON Graphics Card - XFX 8800GTX PSU - Gigabyte 800w GT

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
    Yes, it's possible, if you have the skill of  Dr. Frankenstein.
    There are business that perform this service, but it will probably cost close to $1000.

Google "hard drive recovery service".

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
      « Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
      Okay thanks

But what I want to know is why did the drive break today?
      Do you think it was going to break anyway, and that me moving my computer was just a weird coincident that is broke when I did.
      Or do you think I might have knocked a wire when I was cleaning the inside of my computer.
      Computer Specs
      Motherboard - Nforce 780i xfx CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600  Hard drive - 120GB RAM - Geil DDR2 2GBx2 BLACK DRAGON Graphics Card - XFX 8800GTX PSU - Gigabyte 800w GT

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
      1.  But what I want to know is why did the drive break today?
      2.  Do you think it was going to break anyway, and that me moving my computer was just a weird coincident that is broke when I did.
      3.  Or do you think I might have knocked a wire when I was cleaning the inside of my computer.
      1.  Connector shell was probably mostly broken and finally fell apart.
      2.  Could be.
      3.  Something overstressed it sometime in the past or today.  You have to pull on the wire pretty hard to break it like that.  Could have happened when it was being built.  They are not that fragile.

Pull the drive out and look at the remaining connector, then you tell me how hard it is to break it.

saint_hades

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• She's nearly ready
        « Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
        Well, I'm not going to break the drive any more sorry.

The strange thing, I've never taken the cable off that drive until today. So it's been plugged in for around 2 years.

Thanks for you help, I know a computer technician who's going to look at it. So I'll tell you how it goes.

Cheers

Computer Specs

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
        It's possible to go on a site such as eBay and look for a controller assembly for that drive and be able to swap it in there to retrieve the data...
        Problem is the controller has to be from not only an identical drive but also from the same batch/lot production run for this to work...

Probability of success ....approx 14%.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "