Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to instal Windows Xp Home on Acer Extensa 4220 laptop on new hard drive  (Read 4591 times)

victoriachef

Topic Starter

Can anyone help me ?? I have been given an Acer Extensa 4220 laptop by a friend which has a new 250gb Toshiba hard drive. I am trying to install Windows XP home edition from my own copy of Windows XP Home CD but cant get it to load. As suggested on another site, I have tried downloading the SATA files from Acers website and created a USB floppy disk. I press F6 during setup and load the files.

Setup formats the hard drive using NTFS but then asks for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers to be inserted into the A: drive.

What is this ??

I have also tried creating a combined windows XP/ SATA driver ISO boot disk using nlite (as suggested) but this will not boot - says NTLDR is missing press Alt+Ctrl+Del to start

Any help/ ideas greatly appreciated !!

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
      Uh... I think that driver is for a RAID setup... Look in your bios and see if here is a setting for AHCI mode for your drive. Try disabling it...

Let me know if that works or not
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

victoriachef

Topic Starter

Thanks for your suggestions. I managed to sort this out by copying my Windows XP Home CD to my desktop hard drive. Then by using nlite software I merged the SATA drivers downloaded from Acer website and burnt a bootable ISO disk using a copy of imgburn software.

Not sure if it matters but I right clicked each of the SATA files (iaastor etc) and changed the setting in security to unblocked before merging drivers into Windows XP using nlite and burning ISO boot disk using imgburn.

Now using Windows XP on the Acer extensa 4220 laptop (had to hunt for Lan, Audio and other drivers for XP though !!