Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need assistance, please...  (Read 2430 times)

mmof3bys

Need assistance, please...
« on: June 13, 2005, 10:56:31 AM »
I have been dealing with my computer for several weeks now.  And to say the least it is getting frustrating for me. My computer WinXP Home, is just 2 yrs old.  100 Gig HD, plenty of memory, etc.  (I'm at work right now) If anyone needs anymore details to help me solve this mystery I can find out when I go home for lunch and re-post.

My computer re-starts constantly I've tried a few things myself, but to no avail.  I have ran Ad Aware and thought I was getting it cleaned up as it wasn't re-starting as often as it was for about a week, I ran the virus scan (Norton) and it came back clear.

Well, now it seems it is re-starting after only a mere 5 minutes!  Everytime!  I ran Norton in Safe Mode, and it stopped very shortly after it began said there was an error of some sort and could not continue, that it couldn't scan my computer.  That I would need to go to the Norton website and check it out.  Well, at least I can't get online in safe mode! :)

So, any suggestions, ideas troubleshooting, etc.  

Thank You In Advance

Kelly

merlin_2

Re: Need assistance, please...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:27:08 AM »
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Settings (Startup & Recovery)/System Failure/Uncheck-Automatically Restart  Try it in safe mode...........have you adding any new hardware.......??maybe the inside/case needs a clean??dust/dirt .....has it been cleaned since you have owned it...

mmof3bys

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 11:45:34 AM »
Ok, thanks I will try that.  

No, I have not added any new hardware.

Yes, the inside of the case is dirty/dusty as I opened it up last week to make sure all of the fans were working properly.  I wasn't sure the "proper" way to clean it, my neighbor says he just uses an air compressor and blows everything out?! (It has been cleaned a couple of times prior since I have owned it)  Any suggestions as to the best way to clean it?

Thanks!

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:49:51 AM »

mmof3bys

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 12:05:55 PM »
Thank You.  Once I clean it, and then disable the Automatic Restart, I'll see what it does or doesn't do. And check back (keep your fingers crossed) :)

Mac

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 08:20:47 AM »
This is the full article from Microsoft: Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer

You might also consider re-seating the RAM modules: RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Cody Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 03:15:59 PM »
What you need to do is reformat, then drop your conmputer on the groung until you hear things break.  Then your computer will be like never before.

From,

Cody Johnson

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 05:12:54 AM »
 ;D

Mac

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 05:39:48 AM »
There is a new film coming out entitiled "They shoot nerds, don't they?" Where Alan Greenspan plays the part of an Anarchist and Steven Spielberg plays the enraged father.

Should be interesting.

Leads us up to the question of having a global referendum on the question, "Is Apocalypse a good thing?" That should make a good film too. Read the book, seen the film, been there, 'sort of thing...'

I asked a Greenpeace member the same question only this morning and their representative didn't seem to be too sure of her facts.

So Grasshoppers, beware any possibility of there being a pestilence, otherwise there could be a famine...

I shall continue to persue my quest to convert you ALL to Buddhism.

So, join the APC (Apocalypse Prevention Council) today and see if YOU can prove everyone else wrong.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 05:41:47 AM by Mac »