Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7, problem when changing screen resolution?  (Read 5051 times)

Crafty

Windows 7, problem when changing screen resolution?
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:24:30 AM »
I am having a problem with the windows 7 screen resolution, it seems that it only recognises my lcd's native resolution of 1920 x 1200. For e.g. if I install a game and change the resolution of the game to 1600 x1200, the lcd screen becomes offset leaving me with black borders. I have tried to auto adjust the screen on the monitor controls thinking it was that, and have also tried manually to adjust  the monitor controls but without success. This problem doesn't occur when I am using Vista or Xp to play games. I was going to buy this when it is out but this is putting me of. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:31:57 PM by Crafty »

Crafty

Re: Windows 7, problem when changing screen resolution?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »
So is this a problem with windows 7 or not? When I google for information about this problem, it does appear that other people are experiencing all kinds of problems with resolutions in windows 7. Can someone here, please explain, why am I not able to just set a resolution of 1600 x 1200 like I do in vista?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Are your video drivers installed in the Win7 install ? ?
Sometimes people forget...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Are your video drivers installed in the Win7 install ? ?
Sometimes people forget...

I have installed the windows 7 video driver from the nvidia website. listed below is a set of resolutions that give me a proper display when running windows 7, but why am I not able to get other displays in between like 1600 x 1200 etc? Well, I can get them, (they are not grayed out) but like I have already mentioned, my screen becomes offset. Why doesn't this only happen in windows 7 and not in windows Xp or Vista?

1920x1200
1680x1050
1440x900
1280x800
800x600

twojb7

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:12:21 PM »
    9 am haveing same prob i ha ve tried everything but sill no good if u find out what it is plzzzzzz let me no

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
    I don't really get why you would want a lower resolution for gaming but whatever. To each his own. I think windows 7 detects the aspect ratio of you monitor and only gives you the appropriate resolutions (and 800x600). As for why you are getting the black bars, I have no idea. You could play the game in window mode but then you would have to (or get to) look at the windows environment.
    Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.