Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DISE ?  (Read 3039 times)

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    DISE ?
    « on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
    What exactly is the DISE Backup? I have a computer with it on a partition and can not find any info on how to use it.

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
      Re: DISE ?
      « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
      DISE: "Drive Image Special Edition backup partition"

It's used to create a backup image your working hard drive.  When you use it, it will restore your computer to its factory settings, or point in time you created a backup.  It sounds like you've never created a back up, so that's not available to you.

I have no clue how to activate it, but if you do, it will wipe your entire hard drive, and mount the factory image.
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 09:18:04 PM »
        That is what I want to do. I am doing this for the sister of a teacher I work with and figured that would be the fastest and easiest way to go. If anyone out there knows how it works, it is not in the start menu and it is not one of the boot options.

Running XP Home if that helps.

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:45:15 PM »
          There were 2 ways to use DISE. Either from withing windows, or from a boot CD you should have...

Make sure you look in the Programs folder, start menu, anywhere. There SHOULD be a DISE option... If not, you'll have to find a DISE boot disk...
          Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
            It figures, finally find the program folder and when I click to start it I get an error message saying that there is no DISE partition. A little digging around and I found the answer in the help section on creating a partition. Turns out it has to be next to the boot partition in order to work and this was set up as disk H with E, F and G as small storage partitions.

Oh well, total wipe time. Thanks for your help.