Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformatting Problems  (Read 2702 times)

DCA

Reformatting Problems
« on: June 13, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »
I am reformatting my hard drive using the Win 2000pro installation disk, but I cannot seem to get beyond 80% complete and the computer freezes. It is the same whether I use the "repair" section or go straight to "install".

Any ideas?

merlin_2

Re: Reformatting Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 02:51:25 PM »
this sounds daft......reload the disk//clean it first....now place it in the drive a twist it.....a quarter of a turn
...why are you reloading the system......is it due to viruses/worms.....run a hard disk check........seagate/maxtor.....diagnostic programs.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 03:09:04 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 03:31:21 PM »
Obtain diagnostic software from your HDD manufacturer to check HDD integrity.

DCA

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »
Tried the disk thing - still no joy.
Reason for formatting is that windows stopped loading for some reason. I tried to repair/install over and ended up with 2 versions of windows, one working the other not. However the working one could not access any of the programmes and I was faced with duplicating these as well. Also, it had a lot of junk files, so having read that it was an easy job (and that some people reformat regulally - can you believe!) it seemed like a good idea at the time.
How do you go about the disk check you referred to?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 03:52:40 PM by merlin_2 »

DCA

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 05:10:09 PM »
I can see now why you are called Merlin!!

I downloaded the programme, restarteted the computer with the floppy and hey presto, it all worked like magic. In 20 mins, I had formated the hard disk and reloaded windows.

I can't thank you enough :)

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 03:09:59 AM »
you may have found that your hard drive had bad blocks/sectors on it....i would if you can  afford it >>is to invest in a seagate  hard drive.....they are a little but more reliable...tip!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 03:10:39 AM by merlin_2 »