Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Age is a problem for computers  (Read 2238 times)

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
    • PIC Programming New Zealand
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Age is a problem for computers
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »
While my laptop is being claimed under warranty i've had to temporarily use my old desktop... its not running very well... it must be said. Any ideas for fixing any of the following?
-The usb ports will not function while any keyboard is plugged into the computer. After you have used the usb ports and you have reconnected the keyboard, you may need to restart. This, I suspect, is to do with the PSU not supplying enough power.
-The power key will not function normally on the computer if it has been unplugged from power since the last use (ie if you pulled the plug on it last time). It will only turn on if you hold the switch down for at least three minutes.
-On every start, the computer will declare it needs to check its disks. If you allow this, upon windows starting, the keyboard and mouse will not work. If you use the power key to shut it down, the computer will only go into standby and freeze, and may only be brought out of this by pulling the plug.
-The internet will work only three out of every four starts. On the other start it will declare the ethernet card has no driver. Fix this by restarting normally.
-On one out of every five starts it will declare windows corrupt. Fix this by pulling the plug and restarting.
-On one out of every ten starts it will pretend it has no video card. Fix this by pulling the plug, as the power key is also ignored.
-The master volume control does nothing. Control volume levels with the "wave" slider.
-Every now and then the computer will stop accepting keyboard/mouse input, and the power key is ignored. Fix this by pulling the plug.

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
    Re: Age is a problem for computers
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:02:52 AM »
    Dang... that thing sounds screwed up...

1) Replace CMOS battery
    2) Assume HDD is dying
    3) PSU going bad
    Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
      • PIC Programming New Zealand
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Age is a problem for computers
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 02:15:09 AM »
    Wouldn't the computer have to run setup each time you started it if the CMOS battery was dead? I had a computer with a defunct CMOS battery and I had to go through the setup each time i started it. This computer never forgets the hard drive, it just thinks its dead every now and then :P