Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer keeps restarting before it gets to the desktop  (Read 4257 times)

hensley50

Topic Starter

My computer keeps restarting before it gets to the desktop
    « on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »
    i have a windows xp home edition. after i deleted some viruses and restarted my computer it now keeps restarting before it gets to the desktop. even in all safe modes and others, and i got the laptop as a gift from someone else and dont have a windows xp boot cd. if anybody knows how to fix this please reply! thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My computer keeps restarting before it gets to the desktop
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:55:11 AM »
    Reboot. As soon as the system gets past the POST, start to tap the F8 key. You will get to a screen with several boot options - choose the one that says: Disable Restart on Error. Now reboot. You should see a blue screen error message. Post that ENTIRE message here.

Also, you can download a boot time anti virus utility (Avira, Avast, Bit Defender), create a bootable cd, and run that at system start.

hensley50

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
      actually when i disabled it the first time it just restarted so i pressed control alt delete and it didnt restart it brought me the task manager,  but no desktop or start menu. i can run some things now like the internet but somehow there are still viruses and it has disabled my system restore. now i can only run things off of task manager and im afraid if i turn the computer off it wont start up again. o and by the way it was like 3 rouge antivirus protection fakes that messed my computer up. like window police pro, total security 09 and another.
      « Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:31:45 PM by hensley50 »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
      1) If you want to make sure your system is free of viruses, download a boot time av disc utility (Avira, Avast, BitDefender), burn it to disc, boot to it and run the scan.

2) If you want to start all over, go into the bios and make sure your cd is at the top of the boot order. Then insert an XP CD in the drive and reboot. The install process will begin. Be sure to choose the option to format the drive before installing the OS.

daryllsilorio

Intermediate

• "Say hello to my little friend!"
        « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:21:10 PM »
        How about remove your hard disk and slave it to other computer that has updated virus security and scan your hard disk there.. This process will be quite easy if you an enclosure..
        maygering

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:30:42 AM »
        How about remove your hard disk and slave it to other computer that has updated virus security and scan your hard disk there.. This process will be quite easy if you an enclosure..
        How is that easier than running a boot time scan?

Mugen

Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »
          yah daryllsilorio is right. it is advisabale to scan the hardisk when it's in the slave. because sometimes viruses is living in your resources so that it might me back again in the furture. you should try it! 

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
          yah daryllsilorio is right. it is advisabale to scan the hardisk when it's in the slave. because sometimes viruses is living in your resources so that it might me back again in the furture. you should try it! 
          Huh?

I'm telling you - it must be a full moon.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:14:13 AM »
          a boot-time scan, by booting from a disc, is just as effective as one by slaving the drive. And doesn't require any hardware changes or modification of jumpers.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.