Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buzzing sound on startup (w/sound clip)  (Read 2350 times)

shobuddy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Buzzing sound on startup (w/sound clip)
    « on: October 06, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »
    I build this computer back in February and since then it makes a loud buzzing sound at startup for about 45 seconds.  It is an i7 build with a Gigabyte MB.  The sound only comes on bootup and then goes away.  I have a url below to a sound clip of the noise.  The noise is quite loud and the file does not do it justice but it gives an idea of what the issue might be.  I have already ruled out the noise coming from any fans or the power supply.  It seems to be coming from the video card area.  Any help in diagnosing the issue would be great. Thank you!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/665884516760588b/

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Buzzing sound on startup (w/sound clip)
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:16 PM »
    Open up the case and see if you can locate where that sound is coming from.

If it's coming from the hard drive, I'd back up your data immediately while it still works and replace the drive.

It's also possible that it could just be a fan that's faulty. Those are easily and cheaply replaced.

shobuddy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »
      Thanks for the response.  I was having a hard time trying to isolate the sound but I think I've got it narrowed down to the fan on the graphics card.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »
      Carefully remove the card and take it to your local PC shop...you should be able to match up a replacement fan for it pretty cheaply.
      I did this for a customer over a year ago and the card is still going strong...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "